Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump motor throwing breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump motor throwing breaker

Pump motor throwing breaker

motor/impeller
    Dyna-Glas MPRA6E 147L

9 years old

Set to start circulating at 8:30AM and has been throwing breaker in basement for a few days now. I have to reset breaker (basement) and turn switch (outside) at timer box to get it going, and then is good for the day.

Wondering if anyone has any advice for me?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump motor throwing breaker

Might have a bearing going bad or something in the pump impeller.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'd vote for the start capacitor. Set the timer or manually turn the pump on each day to see what the real issue is.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I would agree, but I have a question. Does a start cap slowly go bad, or is it a cliff event? I don't have enough experience with them to know the answer.

Also, wouldn't the internal motor protection trip first?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Does everything work fine bypassing the timer? You might check the timer out, too.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

thank you all for replies. I guess I'll start with the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Might have a bearing going bad or something in the pump impeller.
    how can I test this?

7. Back To Top    #7

With all power off, see if you can turn the pump shaft. Often, you can access it from the back/non-wet-end side. Spin it.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

I unplugged motor and opened trap and removed basket, which is the only way I can access impeller. Was only able to get a finger or 2 in hole, but cannot feel anything inside.
    If there were anything (foreign objects) inside, wouldn't it make some sound when running? The pump/impeller runs all day & is making no unusual sound or does not show any sign of overheating.
    That said, I'll try the next:
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPoolMan View Post
    I'd vote for the start capacitor.
    How do i go about testing this? I have no idea where to look.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you can spin the impeller by hand then it should be fine and not the problem.

The start cap is located either in a hump on the outside of the motor or nestled in the back under a cover. Some pics of your motor can help us help you.

To test the cap, try here: How to Check a Capacitor with Digital Multi Meter (4 Methods)
    ----Chris----

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

OOHH!! You beat me:
    Does your motor have a hump on it?

11. Back To Top    #11

i will attempt to test capacitor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Don't see a hump in those pictures. It might be hiding inside the rear cover.

13. Back To Top    #13

Try not to overlook simple things. Maybe the breaker is faulty.
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

14. Back To Top    #14

I am suspecting that the cacpacitor is bad because I got no spark when discharging. Also, using method 3 from this page,
    http://www.electricaltechnology.org/...h-digital.html
    I got no reading at all when connecting leads (except 4 zeros and going back to OL), so I guess replacing capacitor would be the next move?

15. Back To Top    #15

Take the potentially bad cap to a motor shop and they ought to be able to test it in like 30 seconds and tell you for sure and then get you a new one if needed.
    ----Chris----

16. Back To Top    #16

OK, problem solved! Got a replacement cap at a local Grainger and she fired up without any hum or hesitation. Thank you all for help . . you guys are THE BEST!