Cabana- how large should overhang be to give shade to seats? thank you!

Aug 12, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello, I would appreciate any help. We are building a pool cabana, and wondering if i put counter top to post, how far out would overhang need to be so seats were in shade? would 18" do it? Cabana will be 18 x 14 (our max space for it)... looking for best way to maximize space.. Originally had thought we'd put counters inside so they could be shaded but landscaper mentioned just making overhang out.. and that makes a lot more sense to maximize.. would appreciate any thoughts! Thanks

Sun or Moon Altitude/Azimuth Table

Try this website. Punch in your state and town, pick the date you want to see and the time interval. It will spit out the altitude and azimuth of the sun at specific times.

I did this in CAD but a simple scetch on paper would work fine. First plot the azimuth. Directly north is 0°, east is 90°, south is 180°, west is 270°. So if it says the sun at 11:00 is 140° grab a protractor and measure 140° from north in a clockwise direction. That will tell you the direction the sun is coming from, scetch every hour on your paper.

Next is altitude. I downloaded an angle finder app on my phone to help me with this but use whatever means you can. Lets say the altitude of the sun at 11:00 is 36°. I simply placed my scetch on the ground so north is pointing north then I faced the direction for 11:00 on the paper (140° turned clockwise from north) then used the angle finder app on the phone to look up from the horizon 36°.

I used this method last winter to figure out the best location to move the pool to in my yard with many trees. I checked this method in the summer to see how accurate I was and it was spot on.

The same principle should apply, you are just looking at a cabana roof instead of tree tops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.