Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Price Gouging?

1. Back To Top    #1

Price Gouging?

Hi,
    I am in the process of getting quotes for a 29' x 13' pool (no spa) with the following equipment:
    Hayward Tri Star VS pump
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus 174 sqft cartridge filter
    Hayward Aqua Rite 40,000 Gal Salt Chlorine Generator
    Hayward Heat Pro 110K BTU titanium heat pump
    Paramount PCC 2000 in-floor cleaning & circulation system
    Paramount paraglo LED light
    3' waterfall, sheer descent

I live in southwest Florida, and the pool will be in a pool cage.

I'm getting quotes over $50,000

I've researched the cost of some of the equipment online:
    pump: 800
    filter: 380
    SWCG: 900
    heat pump: 2500

I just have this feeling that I am being taken advantage of.
    I know the labor will be costly, and the price includes the pool cage, but really? $53,000? Does that sound right?
    Is there some way I can get the salesmen to smarten up and give me a price that is realistic?

thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Price Gouging?

That in-floor cleaning system is very expensive and since the pool is in a cage is the in-floor necessary? That quote sounds reasonable to me.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, I'd probably nix the in floor cleaning.

When I lived in Florida many years ago a screen enclosure over a pool was inexpensive. With the new building codes there is a big cost.

You really can't compare the "parts" from a pool on line and a new pool build. The parts you listed are a minor part of a pool build.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

hello, fellow Floridian! the pool cage is probably running about $15-18k depending on the size just for it. you are probably paying around $4-5k for the heater, which I don't think you really need. at worst, just install it later, its an easy add on. in-floor cleaning is a waste of a lot of money as well. my pool is in a pool cage as well, and I have vacuumed the pool ONCE this year. just get a standard pole vacuum and hose for $50. I just brush once a week.

if you take out the pool cage and heater you are looking at around $30-33k for just the pool and necessary equipment, which doesn't seem far off honestly.

also, is that the full list of equipment? what kind of finish on the pool, total decking, etc?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

My only question is why did you choose the TriStar -VS pump?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    My only question is why did you choose the TriStar -VS pump?
    I have no idea - the sales guy just put it on the list. Why, is there something wrong with it? Is it too big for a 29 x 13 pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the great replies!

I have nixed the in-floor cleaning system, and it reduced the cost by $3,000.
    The salesman threw in a robot "at no cost", saying it's worth about $500. (Is there a particular brand I should ask for -- or avoid?)

I'm going to have travertine instead of pavers, so that raised the price a little.

I definitely want the heater, and I need the pool cage - I hate those Cuban frogs, and I don't want to deal with the geckos. I think it'll probably cut down on the cleaning chore a bit, too. (I hope.)

All replies were so helpful - thank you again!

8. Back To Top    #8

On robots you will find a reasonable split between Maytronics Dolphin and Auquabot, these are the two big names, I have previously owed Maytronics models, currently own an Aquabot and so far am impressed with it. Neither company has what I would call a great reputation for service though. Having said that and since most of the other stuff listed was Hayward, I suspect they will be throwing in a Hayward branded robot.

As to the TriStar VS it may be overkill, but there is a model of the TriStar VS that does integrate with Haywards automation system, something I don't see listed in your options.

Speaking of automation systems how to you plan to control the waterfall, manual valve? Also when you mention 3' waterfall is that the height or the width?

Ike

p.s. you may also want to check on cost to upgrade to the C2002 filter
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

How many quotes have you gotten? I was getting my existing pool refinished and I had ranges of 18-28k from 5 companies. For a bathroom remodel last year, I had 3-9k range! Some people are just going to be way high and some way low. Do your due diligence.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Sounds like you may just be having sticker shock. But additional quotes will tell you for sure. Most of us have had the same symptoms.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

That looks very reasonable to me. Our build three years ago for a 14x30 play pool with no heat pump or cover was $42,000. Dont forget to budget money for yard repair. We spent an additional $3,500 on regrading the yard and sod replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thng you may want to consider is an additional light. I purchased two Jandy Watercolor lights for our pool and I am glad I did. One would not have been nearly enough to light our pool.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    On robots you will find a reasonable split between Maytronics Dolphin and Auquabot, these are the two big names, I have previously owed Maytronics models, currently own an Aquabot and so far am impressed with it. Neither company has what I would call a great reputation for service though. Having said that and since most of the other stuff listed was Hayward, I suspect they will be throwing in a Hayward branded robot.
    It probably will be a Hayward robot, since I nixed the in-floor cleaning system -- he "threw in" the robot, for free.

As to the TriStar VS it may be overkill, but there is a model of the TriStar VS that does integrate with Haywards automation system, something I don't see listed in your options.

Speaking of automation systems how to you plan to control the waterfall, manual valve? Also when you mention 3' waterfall is that the height or the width?
    The width of the waterfall is 3'. Controlled by remote.

Ike

p.s. you may also want to check on cost to upgrade to the C2002 filter
    Thank you, I will do that!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    That looks very reasonable to me. Our build three years ago for a 14x30 play pool with no heat pump or cover was $42,000. Dont forget to budget money for yard repair. We spent an additional $3,500 on regrading the yard and sod replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thng you may want to consider is an additional light. I purchased two Jandy Watercolor lights for our pool and I am glad I did. One would not have been nearly enough to light our pool.

Thank you for the estimated additional cost on the yard repair! I will request the additional light, thanks!

13. Back To Top    #13

CB, when you get a written quote, I would post the full list of items here for input. I bet we can help with suggestions to make it better and to save you money at the same time
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

14. Back To Top    #14

I got 2 quotes out of 4 requests.

Both came in about the same price.

For the other two:
    One salesman didn't communicate very well, so I stopped working with him.
    One salesman has not given me a design, after 2 weeks.

And for the quotes I have, the guy who did give me a quote on his first attempt at design, never got back to me after updating the pool design (based on pictures I sent him). His original quote included the in-floor cleaning system. The updated quote (that I never got) should have the travertine, and no in-floor system. So...I am guessing that the updated quote would've been about the same price as the one.