Bought house with pool, question on closing.

Sep 23, 2015
Bloomington IN
Hello,

I’ve tried to do my homework, but I’ve still got questions now that I’m doing my homework on winterizing.

Pool water looks great. Previous owner used the 3” chlorine pucks in the skimmer and just tested with the red and yellow drops.

I plan on closing per the Pool School info. However, I have a question about “SLAMming”. I planned on using bleach.
Do I have to buy the big test kit before I can even figure out how much to add?

Hello Bill, and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

To answer your question.

It will be impossible to properly SLAM your pool without one of the recommended test kits. You can get the TF 100 at http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

or

Taylor k-2006 sold at several places online and some of your local pool stores may also sell them.

IMO the TF 100 is the better kit for the money, but either will work. Getting one of the recommended test kits will be one of the best investments you will ever make for your pool.

It is amazing how much one test kit can help you accomplish in getting your pool clean and clear, and keeping it that way. I hope this helps, and have a nice day :)

EDIT: Bill you can figure how much you need to add by using the pool math calculator http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html, but the thing is with the other test kits you won't be able to check the higher levels and ensure it is being maintained there at all times.
What we generally do is recommended that you merely add 1/2 to 1 gallon of bleach a day until your kit arrives and then adjust the levels accordingly when you are able to accurately test them.

You'll want to try to ensure your pH is adjusted to around 7.2ppm before increasing your chlorine levels too much, as the pH testing after the chlorine level gets above 10ppm will no longer be accurate. END EDIT

Last edited:
What we generally do is recommended that you merely add 1/2 to 1 gallon of bleach a day until your kit arrives and then adjust the levels accordingly when you are able to accurately test them.
END EDIT

OK, thanks for the help. I'll order a kit. I've been using the 3" pucks in the skimmer. The yellow and red drops have been reading OK. Are you saying I should dump a galloon of bleach in everyday? I'm not planning on shutting the pool down for a few weeks yet.

Hello Bill,

After looking back on the above comments, I think I may have been misreading exactly what you were actually wanting to know about "SLAMming". :hammer: In the actual pool closing process wording I'm almost sure the "SLAMming" your questions were referring to are actually in regards to the word "SLAM" for 2-3 days before closing section, in the actual Closing The Pool LINK. Is that correct?

If that's the case then NO, you do not need to add a gallon of bleach or anything per day right now, but about 2-3 days before you Winterize you will bring your pool up to shock levels getting it ready for the Winter.
Pour the bleach slowly in front of the return, with the pump on, After you've poured the bleach in, then brush the area below where you poured it in to ensure none settles on the bottom, then continue per the rest of the winterizing directions.

I hope this helps answer it correctly this time. I'm so sorry for the confusion. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I'm pretty sure I am finally on the same page with you now :). Have a wonderful day. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.