Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Checking in from the muggy and buggy deep south

1. Back To Top    #1

Checking in from the muggy and buggy deep south

Hello everyone,
    Recently had my pool installed and was enjoying my maintenance free pool(ignorance is bliss, not)and life until I discovered(thanks to some nasty looking water) a little attention to detail may be in order. Well it didn't take long to realize the local pool shop guy was not the answer, so in my search for knowledge I found ya'll (you all ). This site is filled with so much information and knowledge it is truly a blessing. Now I am back to enjoying my pool and life( except for the darn PH issues).

Andy
    35k saltwater IG rectangular plaster/gunite with pressure side cleaner and fountain,
    Pentair 1.5 hp Challenger pump/Pentair tr100 filter, Pentair IC40 swcg, Pentair intelliph,
    Pentair 1 hp Challenger pump(fountain),Pentair booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Checking in from the muggy and buggy deep south

Hello Andy, and Welcome to TFP,

It's nice to hear that our method is working as well for you as it has so many others, and lol I agree the pool store method is rarely ever the answer.

You mentioned you're having a pH issue if you'll post a full set of levels perhaps we can help you get that taken care of too.

What test kit are you using? We recommend the TF 100 or the Taylor K2006 here at TFP as those are the only 2 kits that have the reliability to allow you to properly check, and properly maintain your pool levels . so if you don't have one of the recommended test kits that would be a good place to start.

The TF 100 can be purchased at http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html, and the Taylor K2006 can be purchased at several places online and some of your local pool stores may also sell them.

Once you list us a complete set of levels we'll go from there on helping you get that pH issue resolved.
    Here's a good little link that might be of interest to you too. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

Feel free to ask any questions you may have a long the way. Again welcome to TFP, and have a wonderful day .
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Andy! HI! So glad you found us! Your wallet will be glad also!

Let us know about your PH issue. I am sure we can help you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Also second one of the test kits that Crackerjack4u mentioned. In the meantime, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the taylor 2006 test kit. On the PH stuff I guess I have one of those pools that ph just wants to climb all the time. I add 18 ozs a day of muriatic acid to keep it around 7.6- 7.7 and keep my TA on the low side around 60-70ish, calcium probably not high enough but around 300.
    35k saltwater IG rectangular plaster/gunite with pressure side cleaner and fountain,
    Pentair 1.5 hp Challenger pump/Pentair tr100 filter, Pentair IC40 swcg, Pentair intelliph,
    Pentair 1 hp Challenger pump(fountain),Pentair booster pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

pH will continue to climb on you with that new plaster. That could go on for months. Between the plaster, your SWG, and any aeration you have (fountain) pH will continue to be a battle. Keep acid nearby to effectively lower the pH between 7.2-7.8. From time to time, look closely at the CSI numbers listed on the Poolmath calculator when you enter all your info (pH, TA, CH) to make sure you are within acceptable CSI levels of -.6 to .6. That plays an important role in your water management.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!