Starting TFPC

Just done my first set of weekly readings and TA appears to be a problem so I'd really appreciate specific guidance please.

CYA has gone down to 70
FC12.5
CC0.5
CH 770 (very high, I might check that one again, since water has been swapped out since last high reading)
TA 140
pH 7.5

According to pool math:
FC should be 5-10 so I do nothing with that at the moment - still on the way down from the SLaM
TA should be less than 120 so I add muriatic acid to reduce pH to ?7.1 then aerate (how?)or add baking soda (how much) to increase pH to 7.5

can anyone be more specific about the TA?

thank you!

Karen

To lower your TA do this -

1. Drop your pH to 7.0-7.2 using muriatic acid
2. Aerate your pool water to assist the pH rise back to normal pH (>7.6)
3. Repeat process

You can use PoolMath to tell you how much you TA will decrease if you add the amount of acid required to go down to 7.0-7.2. This will give you an ideas of how many cycles you'll need. The addition of the acid consumes TA. The act of aerating your water is what helps the pH rise back to normal. The pH will rise naturally on its own, aerating just helps speed it up.

What is aeration -

1. Spa spillway
2. Waterfalls
3. Brushing the pool vigorously
4. Pointing eyeball returns up towards the surface
5. Anything that breaks up the water surface

Do NOT add any bicarbonate or soda ash, it will increase your TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt.

How long should I expect to aerate?

Just to confirm that the FC is still highish at 12.5 and in a previous post I was advised that precise measurements need the FC to be lower than 10. Should I wait to lower the pH or is it ok to do it now?

The only test sensitive to FC over 10ppm is pH and you could dilute the pH sample 1:1 with distilled water to help cut the FC in half (the pH will be unaffected by the dilution). The other tests will be fine. The TA test uses thiosulfate (R-0007) to dechlorinate the test sample before measurement. If you find the TA test indicator dye is bleaching out, you can add an additional drop of R-0007 to compensate for the higher FC but I think you will be fine.

No way to know up front how the long the aeration will take to raise the pH. It's trial and error.

Also, check your fill water TA. It would be good to know how high your source water is.

The fill water lately has been rainfall!

I'm going away for a week and leaving OH in charge - I would prefer that all he has to do is check the FC and pH daily until I get back. I've just added the first dose of muriatic acid and turned on the spa filter which seemed the best way to aerate it (water comes from the pool and is returned to the pool via spillway and this way it gets very aerated). So, I am hoping that all will be ok until I return.....

I will be here until lunchtime tomorrow and will check things over then to see how it's all going.

It should be fine. Even when the FC is slightly above 10ppm, you can still get a decent read if the pH as long as you do it quickly - add the drops, mix sample and read the color.

Enjoy your trip, the pool's not going anywhere ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.