Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Skimmer or No skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Skimmer or No skimmer

I'm starting to plan out my pool/spa build for next spring. I going to a have a spillover spa and have my plumbing set up so that I can close the pool in the winter and keep using the spa until probably mid December.

My question is should I install a spa skimmer to use when in spa mode especially for winter use or will the main drains be sufficient.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Skimmer or No skimmer

If you are closing the pool how can you utilize the filtration system? That said, it's not usually done anyway. A spa skimmer that is.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Only the pool itself will be closed, all the equipment will still be functional. I have seen multiple set ups here that are running the spa in the winter with the pool closed.

So no skimmer required.

4. Back To Top    #4

A skimmer's job it to, well, skim the surface of debris and provide circulation. Spas are usually small compared to the pool and have a drain in the bottom along with several returns (jets) around the upper middle. So you'll have plenty of circulation in the spa and you can just skim the surface yourself with a net.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN