Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test results on swim spa using TF100

1. Back To Top    #1
    Fullerton, CA

First test results on swim spa using TF100

Just did my first set of tests on the swim spa:

TA-190 (this was an estimate because it never turned red, just purple)

I added 8 oz of 8.25% bleach, ran the pumps & filters, and retested 30 minutes later with the following results:

TA-150-200 (when do you stop adding drops-when it first changes color, or when the color stops getting darker?)

I didn't retest CYA and CH after adding bleach because I didn't think these would be impacted.

My water is still a little cloudy. I use it about 4 times/week, 1-2 hours at a time. The pumps/filters run twice a day for 3 hours each cycle, plus any time I'm in the pool. I've been cleaning the filters once a month. I had been using MPS weekly, but haven't used it in two weeks in order to get an accurate CC measurement. The spa has two small fountains that aerate the water when the pumps are running. The spa stays covered when not in use. Also, the spa has an ozonator which is on when the pumps are running.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the cloudiness? Everything looks okay to me except the TA seems high. How do I get that lower?
    -Just call me Julie
    Master Spas Michael Phelps Impact swim spa, 1525 gallons, AG, 3 cartridge filters including 1 Eco-Pur mineral filter, currently under drought water restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: First test results on swim spa using TF100

Hello Julie! Spas are not my strong-suit, but you haven't received a reply so I want to add a couple comments and bump this thread for you. Some things you may want to consider are:
    - FC was zero or low. With your CYA of 40, your FC target should be 5, and never below 3. You may have had some organics trying to thrive causing the cloudiness
    - Not sure cleaning the filters once a month is enough when a spa gets regular use like yours. You may want to try weekly, see how that does, then back-off to bi-weekly, etc.
    - Do you have a way to check to make sure your ozonator is working properly? That should be helping to oxidize processed organic material as well.

So I would be inclined to raise the FC level to your target level of 5 and see what effect that has, coupled with cleaning your filter and inspecting your ozonator. I suspect you should see another reply or two as this thread receives more visibility. I hope this helps. Have a great day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

Just a quick addition to what Texas said. TA can be lowered by lowering pH with muriatic acid. Since you have a number of sources of aeration, your pH will probably rise and as you lower with MA your TA goes down too. Use PoolMath to find out how much MA to use to lower pH.

Here is a related link: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

I have been using this process to maintain my hot tub for almost two years and it is great.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach