Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got the K-2006.. FC test

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got the K-2006.. FC test

Just want to make sure I am doing this right. I added 10ml of spa water to the larger cylinder with two scoops of the 870 powder. I counted out 20 drops of the 871 reagent before the water turned clear from pink. This means my FC is 10ppm correct?
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just got the K-2006.. FC test

That is correct. Although you probably do not need two scoops with that sample size unless your FC is very high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

ok cool

thx much

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok quick follow-up.. my tub is 400gal and Pool Math says to bring my FC from 0 to 5 I need to add a little over 4oz or half a cup. However, It takes me a full cup just to get to .5ppm. Any idea why that would be? I am just using chlorine method.

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you add the bleach right after a soak? You could have 0 chlorine as well as some existing bather waste or bacteria that quickly consumes the FC. Did you check CC?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't recall now if it was before or after.. I want to say after though.. I just added 4 cups to see what that gives me and will report back. FC was 0 before adding those 4 cups. How long should I wait to retest? I have been waiting about 30 mins previously but not sure if that's long enough. I will also check the CC.

7. Back To Top    #7

30 minutes is more than enough, especially if you turn on all the jets, even on low. Doesn't take long to mix liquid chemicals in a spa.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok just tested again and the 4 cups put the FC at 14ppm (10ml sample, 1 scoop of R-870, 28 drops of the R-871). Pool Math says that 32oz should of equated to 38ppm..

Also had an interesting result with the TA test.. using a 25ml sample, the water turned blue not green after adding two drops of R-0007 and five drops of R-0008. Also, after 18 drops of R-0009 the water turned yellow and not red.. hmmm

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

This page Extended Test Kit Directions might help with that.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant View Post
    Ok just tested again and the 4 cups put the FC at 14ppm (10ml sample, 1 scoop of R-870, 28 drops of the R-871). Pool Math says that 32oz should of equated to 38ppm..

Also had an interesting result with the TA test.. using a 25ml sample, the water turned blue not green after adding two drops of R-0007 and five drops of R-0008. Also, after 18 drops of R-0009 the water turned yellow and not red.. hmmm
    That does seem really low for your dosing amounts. Is the bleach old or lower % than you think?

That's normal behavior from the TA test sometimes, I believe due to higher FC concentrations but don't quote me on that. You're still observing the color change, regardless of the hue it starts and ends with. 180 ppm TA is pretty high. Seeing lots of pH rise?

11. Back To Top    #11

Bleach is Clorox Germicidal Concentrated which is all Home Depot had at the time.. shows 8.3% Sodium Hypochlorite. Yes, pH has been over 8.0+. I am working on getting it down using Leisure Time Spa Down. I will try an consistently keep it at 7.0-7.2 which with the jets going to aerate should hopefully bring down the TA.

12. Back To Top    #12

If you can find it, check the date code on the side of the container. I wouldn't imagine HD has very much turnover on bleach so it could be old and lost some potency but it would have to be quite old to only raise your FC by as little as it did.

TA can be a pain to get down in a spa, you probably have similar fill water to me with mine being around 200-250 ppm TA on a fresh fill. Takes me a week or more of daily MA dosing to bring the TA down to below 100. At least spas are really good at aeration!

13. Back To Top    #13

Good call.. not seeing a date code on the jug.. I may just start getting it at Target or grocery store which likely has a higher turnover rate. Yeah, my fill water is high.. just filled about a month ago. I will get this pH in check and then pickup some MA to help with the TA lowering. Appreciate the help!

14. Back To Top    #14

So I picked up some MA and added 1/3 cup to start.. also, I have added 7 capfuls of the Leisure Spa Down and the pH doesnt seem to have come down at all.. odd.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

what strength MA is it?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

16. Back To Top    #16

The high fc will cause the pH to read a false high. Fc needs to be below 10 to get an accurate ph test. The TA test will also be off color as you describe. Try adding three drops of r-007 instead of two and mix for five seconds.

The chlorine is probably being used by bather waste. Some will show as cc. You will probably get a fairly high cc level immediately after adding bleach.

If you don't have cya in the water, you should use dichlor until you get to 30 ppm cya.

With a really high ta, the ph will be difficult to keep below a ph of 8.3. Hot water with lots of aeration will offgas CO2 like crazy. The ph probably won't be controllable until the ta gets below 80.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok thanks.. I did see the pH drop to 7.5 after adding some MA.. I will continue with the MA until I get the TA under 80. Will also get some CYA in there