Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt or something else?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt or something else?

Hey guys, pools sat with the filter going 24/7 with the solar cover on for the past couple weeks and I came out to this mess. Waters still crystal clear, FC was at 4.8, CC was at 0. CYA is around 40.

Is this just dirt? I've been fighting this on a small scale all year. Never looked this bad though. Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!

24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirt or something else?

AquaRay Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That looks a lot like algae. How often have you been brushing? Has your FC fallen below target recently? Best bet is to bump FC to 10 and do an OCLT. What are you using to test?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Dirt or something else?

FC is good and there's no CC though, thought I'd be in the clear. TBH since starting TFP (since day one) I've never brushed it, never had to (or so I thought). This is the end of the third season. Or I should say I don't scrub the walls anyway. I've suck up the visible dirt on a regular basis. I have the cleaner tool running now and the slime bag connected. Added one gallon of bleach.

AquaRay Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I would brush it, then run your OCLT.
    L brushing is part of the recommended weekly care, in Pool School. It helps break the biofilm so the chlorine can attack it better. I find I need to brush more often when the pool isn't being used. (Guessing the feet allow over tend to have the same effect as brushing, lol.)

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

6. Back To Top    #6

if that is tree debris, the brushing will help get it up into circulation and lets the filter trap it. If it is algae it lets chlorine get to it and the brushing disrupts any biofilm algae makes to protect itself.

Either way you really ought to brush now and then, 'k?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do.

Tree debris, never heard of that. Are you talking about normal leaves etc or do they produce a dust like that? We have a large oak tree right next to the pool.

AquaRay Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

We get pollen from our pine trees in June. It will cloud the tree line with yellowish powder when the wind blows. It then covers everything. The porch, the car, the pool cover, etc.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

That is algae in your pool. Mostly dead but it looks green enough for some to be living.

You need to SLAM the pool (which includes brushing) and then you need to manage your pool water by doing all the right stuff (filtration, brushing vacuuming keeping FC in the pool)

Once you finish the SLAM, your pool will sparkle and your continued good maintenance will keep it that way.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School