Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kit/No Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kit/No Pool

Hello Everybody,

My name is Vela and I'm in League City Texas. I received my TF-100 in the mail today, but my pool is not scheduled for excavation until late October (currently getting permits). As much as I am excited for getting a new pool, I'm excited to find this community that is willing to share its knowledge. I have pool owner friends who giggled at me when I ordered my test kit and challenged me about brown, black, green, and all sorts of algae and how I was going to control it. I told them I was not worried about the algae. I am worried about the water chemistry. As I've read in this forum, some folks just don't get it and never will. I look forward to interacting with everyone here and I know this forum will make my pool-owning experience a successful/great one!

Vela

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit/No Pool

Hooray! Vela already has the TF-100! I'm doing cartwheels over here. It's a great kit, and you will see why once your pool is completed. I hope you ordered the speed stir as well. If you're curious, you can do a test-run on your tap water to see what you will be putting in the pool. Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by vela View Post
    Hello Everybody,

My name is Vela and I'm in League City Texas. I received my TF-100 in the mail today, but my pool is not scheduled for excavation until late October (currently getting permits). As much as I am excited for getting a new pool, I'm excited to find this community that is willing to share its knowledge. I have pool owner friends who giggled at me when I ordered my test kit and challenged me about brown, black, green, and all sorts of algae and how I was going to control it. I told them I was not worried about the algae. I am worried about the water chemistry. As I've read in this forum, some folks just don't get it and never will. I look forward to interacting with everyone here and I know this forum will make my pool-owning experience a successful/great one!

Vela
    Welcome!
    You will be the one giggling when they see how your water sparkles! I've even had teenagers comment how clear my water was. You can practice testing your tap water, if that's what you will use to fill. Then they'll be no surprises. And read everything you have time for!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

+1 on testing your water. Not a bad idea to know, plus it gives you a chance to practice. Don't worry about the CYA test. There shouldn't be any of that in your house water.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Being in League City I know you'll be able to get most of your necessary pool chemicals right there at the H.E.B and for the most part avoid pool stores altogether!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Hello Vela and welcome to TFP,
    Already having your own test kit, and finding TFP before your pool is even built is wonderful. Most of us didn't find the TFP site until our pools were already in a big mess, and TFP had to come to our rescue to get them cleaned up, but you will know from the get go what you need to do to properly maintain your pool, and keep it crystal clear. Yeah, I'm putting my money on You that you'll be the one giggling at the end of the day. Again welcome to TFP. We're all really glad that you're here. Have a wonderful night .
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! Vela, you are one of the very few who understands the importance of having a good test kit right from the start - even before your pool is ready! Contrast that with many people who will spend tens of thousands on a new pool and then procrastinate on spending about $70 on a good test kit. You are way ahead of the game.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone! I certainly look forward to learning and implementing. One of my friends' pool is always feeling rough on the skin. The other I've been in a couple of times but I doubt I'd get in it again as he doesn't maintain it well enough. We certainly put a lot of trust in public and private pools and now knowing more about the chemical processes involved, it definitely wants me more and more to be on top of my own pool when it's ready. Even before any dirt is dug up, I already know these guys have the wrong processes/maintenance routines in place. Now, on to more reading and more learning. By the way, my stirrer is also on order.

9. Back To Top    #9

Another thing I should probably tell you is that the reason I'm waiting on the dig is that we have family coming from Denmark and we don't want a hole in our backyard while the kids are here. It would make it a little more hazardous. Sure it makes the anticipation draw out, but it will be worth it. In the meantime, we are getting the rest of the ducks in a row.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You might want to consider posting a list of stuff you are thinking about getting with your pool. Equipment and goodies. There are things you don't need, that a lot of PBs like to add as extras. We are here to help with any and all parts of the pool experience.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

LOVE IT! I also got my test kit before I got my pool! I wanted to make sure I really could do the tests. They are easy and fun!

You can start "feeding" us by posting a pic of the yard where the pool will be going. Use photobucket or such to link the pics.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Congratulations and Welcome to TFP!

You will love testing your water and understanding your pool! Each morning as I test PH & FC (Taylor K-1000) and shake the vile, I feel like I am playing the scratch off to see if my PH is higher than normal.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013