Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is pipe outlet from 2 drains in deep end?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is pipe outlet from 2 drains in deep end?

If I recall when they were building the pool in the deep end there are two drains and I think it was approx. a 2" pipe/hose that connects them that comes up and outside the pool and concrete area to daylight but buried maybe 4-6 inches below ground. Is that to drain the pool if the liner needs to be changed and if so how would you drain the pool completely by using this if that is what it is for?
    15x30 In ground vinyl liner, 16000 gallons. Sta-Rite Sys 3 Cartridge Filter (S7M120), Aqua Comfort Heat Pump Model 110, Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 1.5HP 2 Speed Pump (Model P6RA6YF-206L), Loop Loc Mesh Winter Cover and always use Solar Cover. Polaris 9300 Sport Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.
    Liquid Super Chlor 12% (Sodium hypochlorite)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is pipe outlet from 2 drains in deep end?

It's probably a well point to control ground water under the pool when the pool is empty. It's not for draining the pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Aren't hydrostatic valves used for that purpose?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

Hydrostats are typically not used in vinyl liner pools.

Hydrostats are check valves that allow water into concrete pools when water under the pool is higher than water in the pool.

Hydrostats are just a safety mechanism. To actively control ground water, you want one or more well points under the pool that can be connected to a pump to pump out the ground water.

5. Back To Top    #5

My well point looks a lot like a skimmer basket cover and is right next to my skimmer (except one cover is round and the other is square). The PVC that runs down to the rocks below my pool is probably almost a foot across. Wide enough to drop a small sump pump down there if ever a need.

I can't really see what a 2" pipe would accomplish as a well point?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Yours is another way to do it. Yours is to allow monitoring of the water table and is designed for a submersible pump. What you have is more common for fiberglass pools.

The 1.5" or 2" pvc connects to well points under ground and are designed for a suction pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ahhh.. I see now Thanks for the explanation.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain