Can't keep pH in good range

Mar 9, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Pool is 2 years old. 29k gallons. Salt water. TA = 70, pH keeps going 7.8 or higher. Added MA to lower to 7.2 measured 24 hrs later. 36 hrs later back up to 7.8.

I'm trying to get ready for an Ascorbic acid treatment to get rid of some stains. CYA = 0. I get a certain amount of very fine gravel that seeps up above the tiles, especially at the skimmer. I think it may have iron content because it stains if left there for very long. I plan to seal the offending areas with silicone sealer.

The chlorine generator was turned off for the past 48 hours. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Wetzel
Buffalo, NY

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hello Mark and welcome to TFP. :wave: Generally, the most common offenders of pH rising are:
- Elevated TA
- Constant aeration (spa, waterfall, SWG, splashing, etc)
- New plaster

Those are the big ones that come to mind. You could try lowering your TA a little more - start at 60, maybe even 50 if needed. Are you familiar with the Acid/aeration method to lower TA? Please see this page: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity.

Glad to have you join us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.