Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Benefits of Salt without SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Benefits of Salt without SWG?

I read here that you can get the benefits of salt without a SWG. Trichlor tabs are so cheap on Doheny's (25lbs for $63) that its hard to bring myself to buying the $1000 SWCG after reading so many posts of people with problems with them. Im just curious to what those "benefits" are besides water feel if I added say 400lbs of salt to my 25000 gallon IG Vinyl pool? Am I asking for more problems with my pump and 15 year old DE filter? or the concrete around the pool?

I dont mind the pucks and find that I have to add 1 about every 5-7 days and my FC seems to be around 6 all the time. Granted ive only owned my pool for 4 weeks when we moved in

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I love this site.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Benefits of Salt without SWG?

The problem with the Trichlor pucks is that the CYA level increases over time. Don't forget that you need to add the cost of the pH Up adjustment chemical and when you do that you should find that your Trichlor pucks are not much different in price than chlorinating liquid or bleach. Since you may have a short swim season and have a lot of drain/refill/overflow over the winter, you may be able to keep your CYA in check and just raise the FC as the CYA level rises and then "reset" each winter. Just keep an eye on your CYA level. For every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Salt can mitigate some risk of calcium scaling, if you have high CH and or high pH
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Mike, you live in an area with a very limited swim season compared to many here.

When people use pucks and granular chlorine they're also adding sometimes unwanted extra chemicals in to their pools (either Cyanuric Acid stabilizer or calcium) which build up to nuisance levels after using for a while. After months and months of use all that extra stabilizer can make the chlorine needs so high (because there is a balancing act relationship between those two) or the calcium levels get too high and cause scaling.

To avoid this folks use either a SWG (which don't have near the problems you suggest, in proportion to their use!) or liquid chlorine. I don't want to lug jugs of bleach home so I use a SWG. Makes my pool almost self maintaining...almost and of course the salt makes the water feel so nice.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback all. I think I should weigh the options. Maybe i'll give it another season of pucks and see what my levels are at. When we looked to buy the house I remember they had tons of yellow jugs of chlorine and didnt use pucks (but there were empty puck buckts in the shed?) and when I took the water to the pool store they showed the CYA level at 24ppm which was low I guess and hardness was 12ppm. I will definitely keep an eye on them next year. Also fwiw, ph was 6.6!!! Ill also be buying a tf-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Puck use will push the pH down, so if they are being used I understand the 6.6

When you go to the pool store for their "testing" do not confuse the specificity of their "results" with accuracy. You need that TF100
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon