Newbie where its Partly cloudy 24/7 in Fla

Hi pool people! I've had pills all my life but now I'm in charge n i havent had luck w pool store people so here goes.... I have a decend filter out 25000 gallon pool chlorine doesn't matter what it is the water is cloudy I think it's a prostate problems I drain the pool and need to know do I need to clean the pool with anything before I refill it it was green I don't know if I need to remove whatever is making it cloudy before I refill or not??? I just can't handle the swamp behind my house anymore I really like to go for a swim. This is the first time I've ever posted in the forum so please be patient with me I have no idea what I'm doing. So thanks to all you pool pros for sharing your knowledge.

Hello and welcome to TFP. Since you are just starting to take care of the pool on your own, there are a few very important things you need to know:
1 - You CAN do it! It's easy. But you must have the right test kit. I would recommend the TF-100 (link below) because it uses Taylor reagents but in larger sizes (best value). Testing by any other means (test strips, pool store, etc) is just guessing.
2 - Take a few minutes to read this page: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. It has great info for you.

Don't put anything else in your water right now other than regular liquid bleach. Yep, regular household bleach. Maybe one gallon a day until you get your own kit. Hopefully that will keep the green (algae) from getting any worse. Once you get your test kit, let us know and we can help guide you through what's required to make that water clean & clear. Nice to have you with us.

Okay then. So if your pool is empty, and you did the best you could to clean it right now and are ready to fill - go ahead! Start filling. You'll want to focus on a couple things once the water line starts to get close to the skimmer:
- Stabilizer to increase your CYA (target of about 30 ppm to start; use the sock method to soak the granules
- And slowly adding regular bleach as your sanitizer; the first day only enough bleach for a level of about 2 ppm, the next day about 3 ppm, then you can keep it around 5 ppm after that.
- Then we'll balance other things like pH and TA.

While your pool is filling, please add your pool and equipment info in your signature. You can do that by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Oh, by the way .... is you pool filled with city water or on a well? Just need to ask that one right away.

Hello Violet, and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

It sounds like Texas Splash has you well covered on the what to dos. :)

I just wanted to drop by, and say that I completely understand about you not being able to "handle the green swamp behind your house anymore", as I HAD one of those green swamps myself :( but Not anymore. :party:

The TFP method fixed my green swamp right up, left my pool with crystal clear water that's so easy for me to now maintain with my recommended test kit, and there's no doubt that it will do the same for you too.

So hang in there Violet, you are well on your way to a beautifully clear, and easily manageable pool, using the TFP method. You will be able to go :swim: before you know it. Again welcome to TFP, we're all really glad you're here. Have a wonderful day :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ditto here too Kim.
LOL I attempted to use a Dragon Naturally speaking program because of my severe carpal tunnel and being so difficult to type, and I kept getting a message "What did you say?" or "What was that?" lol

Lol and I attempted to put in my Ebay ads once using talk to text roflol.
100% Cotton came through as "One hunter precedent" just smh, lol, so apparently I can't speaka da language either.