Pool renovation in north Texas

aksdfw

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
DFW, TX
We have a ~40-year-old in-ground gunite pool that we purchased in 2013. It was poorly maintained for at least a decade before we purchased (the plaster may well be original). I was hoping to renovate next fall, but the skimmer in the deep end is now about an inch away from the pool wall and the pool won't hold water.

I have had 3 PBs out to look last week and 2 had looked at it in 2013. Each one offers many different solutions. I haven't gotten any quotes back yet.

P9221609.jpg

Above is the overview photo. The north side of the deck has sunk ~4 inches. The area on either side of he diving board and to the right (the west side) are pretty even. One PB has suggested that we do not need to remove the deck and can skim it with cement then spray with DGM SprayDeck. Not sure if that is the best move.

The pool is maybe 9 feet deep. I want to replace the wall-scratching steps in the deep end with either inset steps or a sitting ledge with additional cement step and a D-loop overhang rail.

Here is a photo to give an idea of the slope at the north side of the pool. I think the berm is inadequate, but no PB thought it necessary to fill it in more.

P9221608.jpg

The rise over run is about 2 ft to 13 ft (measured to the wooden deck post). I had also pitched the idea of adding a retaining wall where the back of the deck is and filling in where the deck is. One PB had their cement/deck guy come out to work up a quote, another told me it was a bad idea and the third said it would be too expensive and require too much fill.

Well, we are at the beginnings of this rehab, and I wold love to know the thoughts of the TFP experts! I always come here when I have a problem, and I dare say we have a few 'small' ones!

More pictures are here:
iCloud Photo Sharing

Thanks in advance!
~A

That is a shame it was not taken care of better. That is a pretty pool. LOVE the tiles.

Okay WHY has the side gone down? THAT is the number one question. When you figure out the why you will have a better idea of what needs to be done to fix it for the future.

Steps, ledge, etc. Will you be taking out the old plaster? If you chip it out you can have them really chip out that area so they can add rebar and build the ledge like you want BUT it will cost you. NO idea how much but........be ready to "blink" when you hear the price.

Keep us in the loop and lets see if anyone else has any ideas.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.