Muriatic or Hydrochloric Acid

Moi

Aug 7, 2015
Citrus County, Florida
I usually buy my supplies at one of two loco pool stores. One of them has switched from Muriatic acid to Hydrochloric acid, with a price increase of course.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage using Hydrochloric acid instead of Muriatic acid?

If this has already been answered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction. I can find lots of info on acid in the forum, but did not find info that compared the two.

Thanks in advance.

Peter B.

Definitely LOCO if they are trying to sell "hydrochloride acid" as an upgrade to "muriatic acid" as they are the SAME THING!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, there is a "possible" explanation here based on some threads from earlier in the season. Around here (Arizona), Leslie's was trying to sell "Desert Blend" (or some such nonsense) of muriatic acid as it was clear colored instead of the more commonly found MA that is a pale straw yellow. The difference is the yellow stuff has trace iron impurities in it, not enough to matter chemically from the pool water perspective, but enough to make the color difference. It also seemed to fume a little less so maybe it was a slightly lower concentration. So perhaps that is what the Loco Pool Store is trying to sell. Also, in the world of lab chemistry, HCl is universally called hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid is a very old term) and there are different grades and percentages of hydrochloric acid depending on what you need. ACS Reagent Grade HCl is the highest purity with the lowest trace element concentration but not something you add to pool water unless you're a recent lottery winner.

Now, if you don't mind, I have to run out and find some "Oil of Vitriol" to purchase....

Good One, Joyful!! But what is sulfuric acid used for?

I did recently add some Narcotic Salt of Vitriol to my water. The pool has been releasing lots of "fixed air" making my pH rise. And I recently tested my salt levels with some "lunar caustic". But, of course, to all of our members that close their pools over winter, I hope the "spirit of hartshorn" stays out of their water or else they will be using a lot of "chloride of soda"

Peter,

Have you checked out the local Lowes for acid? They generally stock both the full strength and low fume 1/2 strength in the pint department. I get the full strength (blue label) less expensively thN the pool store. I just pick up a couple when I'm there for something else.

The arcane chemical terms are about as meaningful as the ones use by pool stores to describe the products they are trying to sell us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The muriatic acid I've bought in the past from Home Depot at Lowes has been yellowish in color. The Leslie's or Great Escapes is always clear. Probably no difference just an observation.

The muriatic acid I've bought in the past from Home Depot at Lowes has been yellowish in color. The Leslie's or Great Escapes is always clear. Probably no difference just an observation.

Trace iron impurities from the manufacturing process. Too low to be of any consequence when diluted in pool water.

Gee, what are they trying to sell as the superior product this week? The high purity "White Desert Formula" acid or the Golden acid, where the color shows how it's extra strong.

Gee, what are they trying to sell as the superior product this week? The high purity "White Desert Formula" acid or the Golden acid, where the color shows how it's extra strong.

I'm holding out for bubblegum aroma or minty-fresh flavor ;)

Wow, loved the comments especially the ones about LOCO. I think the word is applicable to pool stores whose intent is to sell customers stuff they may not need or want. Regarding the acid name issue, as long as I buy 31% or close, it should do its job.

As a closing comment about one of my "loco" stores, they do not sell pool ladders and handrails for in-ground pools...they say it is because of liability. Huh?

Thanks everyone for the great forum and great advice.

Peter B.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.