Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic or Hydrochloric Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic or Hydrochloric Acid

I usually buy my supplies at one of two loco pool stores. One of them has switched from Muriatic acid to Hydrochloric acid, with a price increase of course.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage using Hydrochloric acid instead of Muriatic acid?

If this has already been answered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction. I can find lots of info on acid in the forum, but did not find info that compared the two.

Thanks in advance.

Peter B.
    10,000 gallons in-ground with Spillway Spa. Diamond Brite surface, Solar Panels, Hayward SP3400VSP Pump, Hayward Offline Chlorinator, StayRite PLD 70 Filter. Used to have a gas heater but took it to the dump. It kept on breaking down.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic or Hydrochloric Acid

They're exactly the same chemical.

Check the concentration and compare prices and go with whatever's cheapest.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Honestly, I am not making fun of a typo.....I make my share, but this one is just perfect...
    I usually buy my supplies at one of two loco pool stores.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely LOCO if they are trying to sell "hydrochloride acid" as an upgrade to "muriatic acid" as they are the SAME THING!!

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Crazy like a fox!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Of course, there is a "possible" explanation here based on some threads from earlier in the season. Around here (Arizona), Leslie's was trying to sell "Desert Blend" (or some such nonsense) of muriatic acid as it was clear colored instead of the more commonly found MA that is a pale straw yellow. The difference is the yellow stuff has trace iron impurities in it, not enough to matter chemically from the pool water perspective, but enough to make the color difference. It also seemed to fume a little less so maybe it was a slightly lower concentration. So perhaps that is what the Loco Pool Store is trying to sell. Also, in the world of lab chemistry, HCl is universally called hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid is a very old term) and there are different grades and percentages of hydrochloric acid depending on what you need. ACS Reagent Grade HCl is the highest purity with the lowest trace element concentration but not something you add to pool water unless you're a recent lottery winner.

Now, if you don't mind, I have to run out and find some "Oil of Vitriol" to purchase....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Good One, Joyful!! But what is sulfuric acid used for?

Or did you mean "Spirits of salt"?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Good One, Joyful!! But what is sulfuric acid used for?
    I did recently add some Narcotic Salt of Vitriol to my water. The pool has been releasing lots of "fixed air" making my pH rise. And I recently tested my salt levels with some "lunar caustic". But, of course, to all of our members that close their pools over winter, I hope the "spirit of hartshorn" stays out of their water or else they will be using a lot of "chloride of soda"
    Matt

9. Back To Top    #9

Peter,

Have you checked out the local Lowes for acid? They generally stock both the full strength and low fume 1/2 strength in the pint department. I get the full strength (blue label) less expensively thN the pool store. I just pick up a couple when I'm there for something else.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

The arcane chemical terms are about as meaningful as the ones use by pool stores to describe the products they are trying to sell us.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

The muriatic acid I've bought in the past from Home Depot at Lowes has been yellowish in color. The Leslie's or Great Escapes is always clear. Probably no difference just an observation.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    The muriatic acid I've bought in the past from Home Depot at Lowes has been yellowish in color. The Leslie's or Great Escapes is always clear. Probably no difference just an observation.
    Trace iron impurities from the manufacturing process. Too low to be of any consequence when diluted in pool water.

Matt

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Gee, what are they trying to sell as the superior product this week? The high purity "White Desert Formula" acid or the Golden acid, where the color shows how it's extra strong.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Gee, what are they trying to sell as the superior product this week? The high purity "White Desert Formula" acid or the Golden acid, where the color shows how it's extra strong.
    I'm holding out for bubblegum aroma or minty-fresh flavor

Matt

15. Back To Top    #15

Wow, loved the comments especially the ones about LOCO. I think the word is applicable to pool stores whose intent is to sell customers stuff they may not need or want. Regarding the acid name issue, as long as I buy 31% or close, it should do its job.

As a closing comment about one of my "loco" stores, they do not sell pool ladders and handrails for in-ground pools...they say it is because of liability. Huh?

Thanks everyone for the great forum and great advice.

Peter B.
    10,000 gallons in-ground with Spillway Spa. Diamond Brite surface, Solar Panels, Hayward SP3400VSP Pump, Hayward Offline Chlorinator, StayRite PLD 70 Filter. Used to have a gas heater but took it to the dump. It kept on breaking down.