Attaching an Overflow Line to a Skimmer?

dmalma

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2014
Murrieta, CA
Does anyone know the proper way to attach an overflow line to a Waterway Renegade Venturi gunite skimmer? There's nothing in the instructions about how to attach it and when I called Waterway the person I talked to didn't seem to know. Here's what I plan on doing:

1. Drill out the hole in the skimmer - Question: Does it drill out nicely? Since the skimmers (there are 2 of them) are already installed I don't want to do anything to crack the plastic or damage the skimmer. That's my biggest worry. Any suggestions for drilling? The diameter of the overflow opening must be about 1 1/3" because it will fit a 1" pvc pipe, which has an OD of about 1 1/3". Do you drill out then entire opening of the overflow or only drill it so it's 1" wide, the same ID of the 1" pvc pipe?

2. Attach 1" pvc pipe to the inside of the hole using pvc blue glue - I'm assuming the pipe goes on the inside of the hole (as opposed to fitting on the outside) since there's no way to get a pipe to fit on the outside because there is no room (see pic below). Also, do you install it so it's flush with the inside of the skimmer? I would think that you wouldn't want to see a pipe sticking into the skimmer?

3. Run the pipe to a nearby drain - (We haven't decided on whether to attach a ball valve yet, but can do so later. Right now I just want to get the overflow pipe run away from the pool and will deal that later.

Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks for your help!

I have the same skimmers and have an overflow line on one of them.

1. I believe you knock out the plug inside. Too bad my pool just got decking or I could have looked for you. I would take a 3/4 inch pipe or something and hit it gently to see if it knocks out easily without breaking anything.
2. Use the purple primer than the blue glue. The pipe should go on the inside not the outside.
3. Mine just goes to the grass near my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.