Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Final decision mesh cover help!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Final decision mesh cover help!!!

Our pool came with the light blue cover held on by the water tubes. I seriously overlooked this when spending way too much time on all the speciifications of the actual pool and othe requipment. All the contract said was winter cover, I didn't even look twice. Can someone please give me recommendations as every pool company is very vague and just says safety mesh cover like the following:
    SUPER MEASH SAFETY COVER 3899. (they mispelled it!)
    HEAVY WEIGHT SOLID VINYL SAFETY COVER 4195.

Looking for expectations on price and best brand/type needed. I have two dogs, one over 90 lbs and a 4 year old daughter.
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need winter/safety cover ASAP, didn't realize my build came with water tubes! HE

I think loop lok is the company I generally see recommended.

They are certainly not cheap as you have already discovered.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need winter/safety cover ASAP, didn't realize my build came with water tubes! HE

I would go with a safety cover. They are significantly more expensive but with animals and kids around they are great. Loop-Loc is the premier and original brand but other companies such as GLI make good products as well. Mesh safety or solid safety with mesh drains is is what I would go with. You could go with a solid safety cover, but that necessitates a cover pump which can get to be a hassle when it freezes and thaws.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

A gentleman from loop-loc came yesterday. I should have the quote today. I already received a quote on GLI, Merlin for $4975, Coverlon for $4876. Can't believe this wasn't included and I didn't pick up on that with original build this summer
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

5. Back To Top    #5

Loop Lock was cheaper than everyone. Think I will go with them. However, he said part of his install is using a CORE DRILL to save the chances of chipping or damaging the stamped concrete. has anyone heard of this? Is this a good idea?

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Final decision mesh cover help!!!

Regardless of the brand safety cover, anchors need to be install in the decking. If the decking is stone based, like concrete or pavers, they need to use a hammer or core drill. I would think a Core drill would have a better chance of NOT doing damage. BTW, I have a LoopLoc and am very happy with it
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Final decision mesh cover help!!!

A core drill with a core bit may have a better chance of not chipping concrete as much simply because they are usually diamond tools rather than carbide. But both will get the job done.

sent from mobile. beware of brevity and spelling errors.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons