Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid %

1. Back To Top    #1

Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid %

We bought some Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid at Lowe's. It did not have the acid % listed on the bottle. We came home and looked it up and it is 20% acid....but I do not see that as an option on PoolMath so not sure how much we need to add? Should I just pick the 14.5% and then add about 5% more than what PoolMath says?
    12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid %

Are you sure that there are not any additives in that? I saw it, but didn't buy it for fear of soaps or some other types of "cleaners" in that bottle.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

I brought the same product and I ended up returning it because of the "green" in the name. I could not determine what else was in the bottle and didn't want any side effects. I likened it the "splashless, odorless, etc." bleach available, all of which may cause foaming, bubbles, etc. I generally get the regular MA at Menards. I can't remember if Lowe's carried it in the paint department or not.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

From the SDS, there are no other ingredients listed other than hydrochloric acid so there are no detergents in the product. It would be fine to use for lowering pH in a pool.

As far as how much to add, the 20% is not a part of Pool Math. If you use the 14.5%, you want to use LESS than indicated by Pool Math since the acid is stronger than 14.5%. I'd suggest using the 28.3% drop down and recommended volume to see how much pH change it produces and adjust based on observed pH change.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the Jasco Green Muriatic Acid that Lowe's sell around here and it works fine. It is 20%.

In PoolMath, select the 31.45% MA and then multiply the result with 1.5. E.g. if PoolMath tells you to use 8 oz, use 12 oz.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    From the SDS, there are no other ingredients listed other than hydrochloric acid so there are no detergents in the product. It would be fine to use for lowering pH in a pool...
    That's good to know!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the Jasco Green Muriatic Acid that Lowe's sell around here and it works fine. It is 20%.
    How do you know this? I called JASCO and they told me it is a trade secret and all they will say is "<30%"..
    Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
    Building 18x33 OnGround. Will have: Balanced pH, CYA, ALK, Borate. Arduino automated chlorine dose (8.25% Bleach)

9. Back To Top    #9

By stating <30%, they can have the concentration nearly anything they want. It could easily range from a low of 15% to 25%, and the general public would have no clue.

I only buy the full strength, 31.45%. Have always found it at our Home Depot here in Bullhead City, AZ

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    Marty

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by terryking View Post
    How do you know this? I called JASCO and they told me it is a trade secret and all they will say is "<30%"..
    Trade secret? That's odd. It is published on there MSDS as 20%.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

11. Back To Top    #11

Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid %

Some of these manufacturers add cationic or amphoteric surfactants like Tomamine to increase viscosity and reduce surface evaporation thus reducing fume levels. The surfactant is generally harmless and will be broken down in pool water slowly.

Not worth the extra cost IMHO.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates