Winter Cover Size Question

Jul 11, 2015
Manalapan / NJ
Hello .. this is my first year closing my 15 x 30 AGP. The winter cover that was given to us at the time of purchase is a 18 x 33 cover. I wrestled with that thing to two days to pull and stretch it over the pool posts. Its on but it just seems too small and tight. I would think one heavy snow storm and that thing is going to rip or pop off.

My question is if there is any downside to getting a cover sized for a 16 x 32 pool? This way I know for sure that the cover will be big enough to survive winter snow and rain.

Thanks for your help

Is your AGP round or square?

If you close with the water 1' below the top of the pool, than add 1' on each side (therefore needing 2 feet). Recommend you have 2 feet hanging on the side as well. This would be 6' extra. So, the cover you had was bigger for a reason. Bungee cords work well together and there is no need to make them too tight. Because of cost, you may want to get a thick strong rope, create loops at the end and then work with the cords. This is probably what I would do.

You have to decide how much slack you want to have. The more in the pool the less wear and tear on the cover from heavy water, snow pulling cover down. Also, if you have rip in the cover it will go down a little further in the pool, so definitely a little slack is best. Also recommended that you purchase a small pump to pump water off the cover. Eventually you will not be able to if it snows a lot and freezes. Leave a little water 2" on top of the cover to hold it down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.