Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Super newbie in ga

1. Back To Top    #1

Super newbie in ga

I closed on my house friday and finally did my tests with the taylor k-2006. My TC=0, PH 8.0 +, TA=120, CH=100, CYA=0 from what I could tell my saturation is around 2. The pool is clear for the most part. My questions are how should I go about getting my pool started? Should I do my bleach by itself for chlorine or can I do it and muratic acid to lower the ph at the same time. Kinda confused on the proper order of steps. The house was foreclosed on and the pool has had no love for months please help. Thanks in advance.
    18x37 approx 30,000 gallons, inground plaster pool. Albany ga, test kit taylor 2006. Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Super newbie in ga

Welcome to TFPC. Very glad to have you!!

You can do MA then bleach. Separate by 30 mins with good circulation.
    Is pump and all other equipment in good working order?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It might be better if you go back and look at your other thread. Some very good reading mentioned there.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess my main thing is should I get my cya @ 40 before I do a slam? Since there is no fc in the pool I figured slam would probably be the best way start off. Yes all pump equipment is working very well. Thanks and ill go back and look and see what I missed.
    18x37 approx 30,000 gallons, inground plaster pool. Albany ga, test kit taylor 2006. Sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Here's what I thing would work. Get pH down to 7.2. Put CYA in sock hang in front of return I would target 30ppm CYA to start with, you can always bump it up after the SLAM. SLAM at the proper FC for the CYA you put in the sock.

Some of the good stuff is hiding in the signatures of those folks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Joe,

So glad to see the test results! Good job. When you post your results can you list them like this please?

FC
    CC
    PH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

It helps them stand out. THANKS!

Bob has you covered on what do to for right now.

Shoot us a pic of your pool so we can see what we are working with.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks I'll start listing them that way. I'll work on ph today.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good job Joe! Let us know how it goes!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

If at any time your pump causes you problems or stops working (Gawd forbid but you never know with an unknown pump) and you need to add chemicals or have just done so, brush it around to help it disperse in the water.

Start with pH & CYA...wait 30 min with pump on and retest pH. If its where you want it go ahead and add your liquid chlorine. You don't want it to go too long lest you start an algae outbreak. Then you can decide on the need for a SLAM procedure as you see how your chlorine level behaves with an OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test). All directions can be found in Pool School.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks eveyone what a big help. Im learning more by the day. : )

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok guys I got my new readings.
    FC=1.2
    PH=7.2
    Cya=30
    TA=100
    CH=110
    I am gonna post some pics also of how it's looking now. Water is much clearer and looking much better.20150924_141402.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20150924_141409.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I used the calculator today and added appropriate bleach amd baking soda. I have not got to retest since then just wanted a little feedback on the numbers also can someone tell me if my sand filter is a triton ?. Thanks everybody you have all been such a big help.20150924_144902.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

Get and keep that FC.

Work on the TA by working the PH.

I have not idea about the filter

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

Is TA=100 good or i should shoot for 120?

14. Back To Top    #14

Pool School - Recommended Levels

How to lower TA

Here ya go! This should help you with this question.

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

When its showing for plaster ta=70-90+ is that saying anything over 90 is good? A little confused on that.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

For plaster you are correct. But the numbers are just recommendations and need to be used that way. In general I only worry about pH and let TA take care of itself. A rising pH means TA is too high. Lower both with MA and see what happens. There is an article in Pool School about it. For your long term consideration you might want to look into CSI and try to keep it near 0.
    Mostly what I read is that CH is a bigger player for folks with plaster. So look for that in Pool School and see how to adjust it.

I'm sure there will be others along soon with more plaster experience. But what I've said should be a place to start.

17. Back To Top    #17

The number one thing is chlorine....get it in the pool and keep the levels up. PH can be adjusted up or down quickly, but if FC is down you will get algae and a SLAM. Trust me SLAMs are a time and money consuming choice. Keep your FC up daily.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits