Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Interesting pool idea

1. Back To Top    #1

Interesting pool idea

this isn't my setup. My friend's uncle bought a ranch somewhere north of Sacramento and wanted to put in a pool. Pool builder quoted him some 50k for an inground setup. He decided to go the very cheap but creative way. he dug a hole, did the pipes and dropped in a 40 foot container! Fiberglassed the walls, built a deck around it and bam 13k later he had a pool
    My friend showed me a video of the setup, very interesting and cheap and seems, functional. What do you guys think?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Interesting pool idea

Hello devis. I think I want to see pics. We love pics .
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh yeahhhhh... I wanna see!! Sounds like a handy guy to have around

Can you post pics or the video to YouTube?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Not a DIY but... here is one: Robust Pools Shipping Container Pool - YouTube
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

That one is pretty cool too, Bob.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, the first thing that pops into my head is the odd dimensions .... 8' by 40' pool that is 8' deep I suppose it would work for swimming laps, you just can not stand in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just watched that video ... that is pretty fancy for a shipping container At least you can stand in it

- - - Updated - - -

And then I got to the point in the video of the equipment and thought ... that backwash hose is not going to work in that orientation
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll ask my buddy for the video. The one "pabeader" posted is a very interesting idea as well. that's a container cut in a half it seems. Great use of those things. My concern would have been the water pressure, since these things aren't made to withstand internal pressure, but then again, the PSI of 8 feet of water isn't a whole lot anyway.