High bromine and ph and alk dropping a bit

Jun 18, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
OK, I thought I had this all figured out and had control of my levels the last couple months. Then, we bought new bromine tablets from Wal-Mart instead of dumb spa place. These are obviously much more potent or something because we haven't had to use NEAR as much bleach after being in the tub. So, we just stopped using as much bleach....no biggie. However, the bromine just keeps going higher even with no bleach being put in. 5 days ago, bromine was at 6.25, up from a 5 the day before. I turned down my floater because it had been open almost all the way with the old bromine tablets. Tested again tonight and it was 12.5 when my husband tested it. He made me retest and I got 10 (not sure why the difference). I have read about ozonators and possibly not needing a floater, but I needed it before with the old tablets, so I am confused there. I also read about keeping the floater tied up instead of circulating. Would that make a difference? Nobody has been in the tub for over a week, so we haven't had bather load, but it always still needed bleach every few days before.

Also, my ph and alk were down to 7.0 and 30, so I raised them last week. Does the higher bromine affect those levels?

Thank you for any advice! I'm a bit frustrated since I had a handle on things before!

Tabs are net acidic. They will lower pH and TA. Different tabs dissolve at different rates. The new tabs are probably dissolving much faster than the old ones. Remove the feeder until the bromine level is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.