Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is Bleach safe for the skin?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is Bleach safe for the skin?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am totally clueless about pools. I have just close on an house with a pool. I was doing some reading around the forum and was wondering if general store bleach if used in the pool would be safe to swim in? When I think about I usually think of bleach being used to whiten clothes in the laundry?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is Bleach safe for the skin?

Yes, its completely safe. Bleach and chlorine are the same thing - bleach is just the household name for liquid chlorine. Just read the label to make sure it's not a scented or splash-free formula and use the amounts calculated by accurate testing/pool math.

The reason we advocate using bleach over other forms of chlorine (solid di-chlor or tri-chlor), is that those solid forms add CYA to the water, which is not good at high levels.

I reccomend these 2 pool school articles on the subject:
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

The chemical term for bleach and liquid chlorine is: sodium hypochlorite. If you see that, you have the correct stuff.

You are now 1 more wiser person in regards to what bleach is and how we can use it for our pools AND laundry.

Welcome to the forum and to your education on a Trouble-Free and lowest cost to maintain pool!
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

My son has a skin condition called Hidradenitis Suppuritiva. The dermatologist actually recommended bleach baths. He has the least amount of trouble with the problems when it is swimming season. I believe it can be recommended for other skin ailments, too.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by GoodMorning View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am totally clueless about pools. I have just close on an house with a pool. I was doing some reading around the forum and was wondering if general store bleach if used in the pool would be safe to swim in? When I think about I usually think of bleach being used to whiten clothes in the laundry?

Thanks
    There is actually a wound cleanser used on icky infected wounds called Dakin's Solution which contains a small amount of bleach. It does wonders for some particularly smelly wounds. It's old school but still used and works well.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I've heard it can be good for poison ivy as well.

I'm not sure why chlorine always gets such a bad wrap. I know a lot of people hate the smell, but I actually kind of like it.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

My ex who was a big time hunter ended up with turkey lice one time, (yes I know that's gross lol, but it happened), and the doctor's prescription was to have him scrub down 3x's a day in diluted bleach water to get rid of them.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just keep in mind that the amount of chlorine in pools is many thousands of times more diluted than laundry bleach.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    The chemical term for bleach and liquid chlorine is: sodium hypochlorite. If you see that, you have the correct stuff.

You are now 1 more wiser person in regards to what bleach is and how we can use it for our pools AND laundry.

Welcome to the forum and to your education on a Trouble-Free and lowest cost to maintain pool!
    Thank you

& Thank you for the information on chlorine.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Yes, its completely safe. Bleach and chlorine are the same thing - bleach is just the household name for liquid chlorine. Just read the label to make sure it's not a scented or splash-free formula and use the amounts calculated by accurate testing/pool math.
    Also, don't get the Easy Pour stuff. Didn't know about it when it came out, and it foamed my hot tub up like crazy... unless you want a bubble hot tub. The wind blew and foam was flying everywhere.
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

My son also has a bad skin condition and gets bumps before we put in the pool I used to give him a bleach bath every other week, about 1 to 2 cups of household bleach in a full bath and it helped keep his skin clear. Now that we have a pool he swims enough that we don't have to do the bleach baths although it is getting to cold to swim soon so will have to do them again once winter is here.
    IG pebbletec 21k gallon with cartridge filter Jandy VSP 2hp pump and a 15' 12" wall with 3 scuppers. one skimmer, one floor drain all independently piped with 2.5 in lines.