Closing with Polyquat 60

I will be using a solid loop loc cover during closing. I was thinking of using polyquat 60 (Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool & Spa 60%) during closing but i have some questions.

1. Do you add polyquat an half hour before disconnecting pool equipment or 24 hours before so it circulates better?

2. Can you add the algaecide directyl through the skimmer for better circulation?

3. Lastly, I normally close with a PH of 7.6 is this okay with the Polyquat?

Thanks.

I appreciate the replies.

I read what Jason put together (add polyquat 1/2 before shutting down pump) which is in contradiction to what Richard posted (24 hours prior to pump shut down. Clearly this is a huge difference.

Can someone offer some insight?

Also so is it added to the skimmer or broadcast in front of the returns?

The comments from Chem Geek are based on the manufacturers recommendations. The bottle will tell you either to broadcast in the pool and/or dilute it and mix in the pool. I doubt you will put in the skimmer as this is one of the reason why running the pump for 24 hours and circulating everything is a wise choice.

I do not see any comments from Jason? Please read the sticky in this section on closing a swimming pool!. That will also help.

Jason wrote what's in pool school.

This is what JasonLion wrote in his Sticky:

PolyQuat - Add the startup (maximum) dose of PolyQuat according to package directions. I give it half an hour to mix with the pump running before starting to drain. While I am waiting for that I proceed with the next three steps.

Point understood. It is possible that the manufacturer has changed it's package directions. I would allow it to circulate for 24 hours prior to closing the pool. This way it is mixed in properly. You could allow it to sit in the pool, but it will be thick and slow to dissolve. Best bet is to mix it in well because most people close while day temperatures are still in the 70's to 80's. I do not believe there is a right or wrong way of adding polyquat-60.

Note that one is usually adding the Polyquat for closing when the pool water is cold. It is slower to mix in cold water. It's a somewhat viscous polymer.

In your opinion, even if the water is around 75*, would you still mix for 24 hours, or you could possibly get away with less mixing time. Most people here on the East Coast, because of the massive amount of leaves, close their pools no later end of September.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.