Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shelf life of liquid chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Shelf life of liquid chlorine

Anticipating the end of the season here in the northeast I have a five gallon excess of liquid chlorine (12.5%).
    Can I store this for any length of time or will it loose its oxidation qualities?

Thanks, Max

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shelf life of liquid chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by maxhouse View Post
    Anticipating the end of the season here in the northeast I have a five gallon excess of liquid chlorine (12.5%).
    Can I store this for any length of time or will it loose its oxidation qualities?

Thanks, Max
    It'll be salt, lye and water by the time you use it next year. The high % LC degrades pretty quickly. It should be typically used within 2-3 months of the date code.

If it's closed, will a local pool store take it back?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Matt.

4. Back To Top    #4

Shelf life of liquid chlorine

See this this page for half life info.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I had 4 gallons extra last year which I stored over the winter. While they were not quite the same as new 12.5% in the spring, they were still more effective than 8%, I believe they were close to 10%. The key is keeping them cold, they spent most of the winter in the shed, unless sub-zero weather threatened, then they moved to our unheated but attached garage which stays 30-40 when it is really cold out. The half life is a lot longer for cold temps.
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can use them around the house (laundry, cleaning needs) but more sparingly than you do the normal 8.25%.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

See this post for tables of breakdown for 12.5% chlorinating liquid and 8.25% bleach. This is for high-quality product. Some brands may break down more quickly if they are not careful in using water free of metals.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"