When should we close the pool?

Hello fellow Montrealer as well,

We keep our open as late as possible as well. Once temps drop I unplug the salt module and keep the pump running a few hrs a day to continue circulation until the beginning of October. At the same time I install our loop lock cover to keep the leaves out.
When it's time to close I just fold back the cover to do 1 final vacuum and have the full closing of pool and heater done.
Had a good swim weekend this past weekend. Hopefully get 1 more weekend in atleast.

Thanks. As this is my first pool, is it difficult to close the pool myself? Should I pay someone to do it? What is the ballpark price for that in Montreal? Pool is inground liner, 50000 L, pump inside cabana with bottom and skimmer drainage with sand filter.
Thanks again.

I wont cost much if you do it yourself. Is it a new pool or did you buy a house wuth an existing pool? Cuz usually the old owners will already have a cover (thats what costs the most)

This will help Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Will you be putting a cover? and water bags? These can be bought at club piscine. I recommend the one in Laval (on autoroute 15). They have the biggest selection of stuff i have seen.

You can get the polyquat and antifreeze at club piscine.

I close when temperature is below 10 Celsius. Between now and closing date, I keep the solar pool cover on to minimize chlorine and evaporative losses and circulate an hour a day, just to redistribute the chlorine. After lowering the water level to 6 inches below the return, I put away the solar cover, and replace it with a water permeable black mesh cover. To keep the mesh from touching the water, I use a system of ropes that criss-cross the pool. I remove the mesh once the surface freezes, usually by the first week of November, and before any major snow storms appear.
I do not have a bottom drain, so do not use anti-freeze. I do blow all the lines using a shop vac, empty the sand filter, remove the pressure gauge and cap all lines in the pool. Finally, to minimize water volume in the skimmer, I add compressible plastics to the empty skimmer body.

I wasn't home last year upon closing. This is just our 2nd year and don't feel 100% confident yet undertaking the task. If I recall, it's in the $200 range. Not sure as first closing was free. I'll find out this week as I'll be booking our closing and report back if the cost is off base ..

Might be better for you as well to have it closed this season and 'hover' around the tech. to learn the tricks of the trade!

I wont cost much if you do it yourself. Is it a new pool or did you buy a house wuth an existing pool? Cuz usually the old owners will already have a cover (thats what costs the most)

This will help Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Will you be putting a cover? and water bags? These can be bought at club piscine. I recommend the one in Laval (on autoroute 15). They have the biggest selection of stuff i have seen.

You can get the polyquat and antifreeze at club piscine.

Thanks, it's old pool and the previous owner left everything for me including the cover. It seems that he did it himself before.

- - - Updated - - -

I close when temperature is below 10 Celsius. Between now and closing date, I keep the solar pool cover on to minimize chlorine and evaporative losses and circulate an hour a day, just to redistribute the chlorine. After lowering the water level to 6 inches below the return, I put away the solar cover, and replace it with a water permeable black mesh cover. To keep the mesh from touching the water, I use a system of ropes that criss-cross the pool. I remove the mesh once the surface freezes, usually by the first week of November, and before any major snow storms appear.
I do not have a bottom drain, so do not use anti-freeze. I do blow all the lines using a shop vac, empty the sand filter, remove the pressure gauge and cap all lines in the pool. Finally, to minimize water volume in the skimmer, I add compressible plastics to the empty skimmer body.

Thanks. For the temperature, you mean the night temperature or the day temperature?

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't home last year upon closing. This is just our 2nd year and don't feel 100% confident yet undertaking the task. If I recall, it's in the $200 range. Not sure as first closing was free. I'll find out this week as I'll be booking our closing and report back if the cost is off base ..

Might be better for you as well to have it closed this season and 'hover' around the tech. to learn the tricks of the trade!

Thanks, please update me about the price. Sure I don't feel confident either but still think DIY is fun (and of course cheap) so I might give it a try.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.