Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When should we close the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

When should we close the pool?

Hi,
    I wonder when should we close the pool? Should we wait till the night temp falls below zero?
    I'm from Montreal and it seems that the temp is still above zero for a few weeks. Any guys from Canada here?
    Mine is inground liner.
    Many thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When should we close the pool?

You can close any time the average water temp for the day is below 60 degrees (Fahrenheit) or 15 degrees Celsius.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Announcements - has links that should answer any closing questions.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello fellow montrealer,

ill be waiting to close mine until the temperature goes down to 60.
    Previous years, I closed in october and everything went well for the start up the following year.
    44000L oval above ground vinyl pool ---Taylor K-2006----
    Jacuzzi Saniclear 20 salt generator, Waterco XLRU50btu Heat Pump
    Jacuzzi L192 19" sand filter, Jacuzzi 1.5hp pump
    Pool School + Test Kits + PoolMath = Happy Times
    If in doubt SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain + Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello fellow Montrealer as well,

We keep our open as late as possible as well. Once temps drop I unplug the salt module and keep the pump running a few hrs a day to continue circulation until the beginning of October. At the same time I install our loop lock cover to keep the leaves out.
    When it's time to close I just fold back the cover to do 1 final vacuum and have the full closing of pool and heater done.
    Had a good swim weekend this past weekend. Hopefully get 1 more weekend in atleast.
    Kafko 15x28 Rectangle granite grey liner pool - Kafko 8 foot granite grey steps / Kafko 8 foot granite grey sunledge - Hayward Equipment - Kafko Safety Cover - Beachcomber 750 hot tub

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. As this is my first pool, is it difficult to close the pool myself? Should I pay someone to do it? What is the ballpark price for that in Montreal? Pool is inground liner, 50000 L, pump inside cabana with bottom and skimmer drainage with sand filter.
    Thanks again.
    Inground liner 15,000 gallons in Montreal, Canada

7. Back To Top    #7

I wont cost much if you do it yourself. Is it a new pool or did you buy a house wuth an existing pool? Cuz usually the old owners will already have a cover (thats what costs the most)

This will help Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Will you be putting a cover? and water bags? These can be bought at club piscine. I recommend the one in Laval (on autoroute 15). They have the biggest selection of stuff i have seen.

You can get the polyquat and antifreeze at club piscine.
    44000L oval above ground vinyl pool ---Taylor K-2006----
    Jacuzzi Saniclear 20 salt generator, Waterco XLRU50btu Heat Pump
    Jacuzzi L192 19" sand filter, Jacuzzi 1.5hp pump
    Pool School + Test Kits + PoolMath = Happy Times
    If in doubt SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain + Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

8. Back To Top    #8

I close when temperature is below 10 Celsius. Between now and closing date, I keep the solar pool cover on to minimize chlorine and evaporative losses and circulate an hour a day, just to redistribute the chlorine. After lowering the water level to 6 inches below the return, I put away the solar cover, and replace it with a water permeable black mesh cover. To keep the mesh from touching the water, I use a system of ropes that criss-cross the pool. I remove the mesh once the surface freezes, usually by the first week of November, and before any major snow storms appear.
    I do not have a bottom drain, so do not use anti-freeze. I do blow all the lines using a shop vac, empty the sand filter, remove the pressure gauge and cap all lines in the pool. Finally, to minimize water volume in the skimmer, I add compressible plastics to the empty skimmer body.
    14 x 28 Jacuzzi vinyl inground pool, Jacuzzi Laser 250 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I wasn't home last year upon closing. This is just our 2nd year and don't feel 100% confident yet undertaking the task. If I recall, it's in the $200 range. Not sure as first closing was free. I'll find out this week as I'll be booking our closing and report back if the cost is off base ..

Might be better for you as well to have it closed this season and 'hover' around the tech. to learn the tricks of the trade!
    Kafko 15x28 Rectangle granite grey liner pool - Kafko 8 foot granite grey steps / Kafko 8 foot granite grey sunledge - Hayward Equipment - Kafko Safety Cover - Beachcomber 750 hot tub

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    I wont cost much if you do it yourself. Is it a new pool or did you buy a house wuth an existing pool? Cuz usually the old owners will already have a cover (thats what costs the most)

This will help Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Will you be putting a cover? and water bags? These can be bought at club piscine. I recommend the one in Laval (on autoroute 15). They have the biggest selection of stuff i have seen.

You can get the polyquat and antifreeze at club piscine.
    Thanks, it's old pool and the previous owner left everything for me including the cover. It seems that he did it himself before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eauclaire View Post
    I close when temperature is below 10 Celsius. Between now and closing date, I keep the solar pool cover on to minimize chlorine and evaporative losses and circulate an hour a day, just to redistribute the chlorine. After lowering the water level to 6 inches below the return, I put away the solar cover, and replace it with a water permeable black mesh cover. To keep the mesh from touching the water, I use a system of ropes that criss-cross the pool. I remove the mesh once the surface freezes, usually by the first week of November, and before any major snow storms appear.
    I do not have a bottom drain, so do not use anti-freeze. I do blow all the lines using a shop vac, empty the sand filter, remove the pressure gauge and cap all lines in the pool. Finally, to minimize water volume in the skimmer, I add compressible plastics to the empty skimmer body.
    Thanks. For the temperature, you mean the night temperature or the day temperature?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by canpool View Post
    I wasn't home last year upon closing. This is just our 2nd year and don't feel 100% confident yet undertaking the task. If I recall, it's in the $200 range. Not sure as first closing was free. I'll find out this week as I'll be booking our closing and report back if the cost is off base ..

Might be better for you as well to have it closed this season and 'hover' around the tech. to learn the tricks of the trade!
    Thanks, please update me about the price. Sure I don't feel confident either but still think DIY is fun (and of course cheap) so I might give it a try.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tffool View Post
    .........Thanks. For the temperature, you mean the night temperature or the day temperature?.......
    Water temp. Once the pool water is staying below 60F algae growth is extremely difficult.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Water temp. Once the pool water is staying below 60F algae growth is extremely difficult.

Dom
    Thanks, but when should I take the water temp? Day or night? Sorry for stupid question...

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tffool View Post
    Thanks, but when should I take the water temp? Day or night? Sorry for stupid question...
    During the day when you expect the pool to be at its peak temp.

There are no stupid questions here at TFP.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

ok just booked closing. $195.00 for in ground pool closing (I will install safety cover myself) cheers.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by canpool View Post
    ok just booked closing. $195.00 for in ground pool closing (I will install safety cover myself) cheers.
    Could you PM me the company info?
    Thanks.