Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questions about upgrading pump motor to 2-speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions about upgrading pump motor to 2-speed

Hi Everyone,

I have a 3/4 hp Pentair Challenger (I believe it is a High Head) that is controlled by an AutoPilot Dig 220 which I would like to upgrade by swapping in a two-speed motor. I want the Dig 220 to still control the pump on/off schedule. A couple of questions...

1) I have two pop-up bottom returns (they are my only returns other than a step jet). Will the pump on low speed have enough power to pop the return heads up?

2) Does anyone sell a motor that has a manual hi-low switch already installed? I canít seem to find any.

Thanks,
    Dean
    37x16 IG vinyl, about 20K gals
    Pentair FNS 60 DE filter
    3/4 hp Pentair Challenger pump
    1 skimmer, 2 bottom returns + 1 step jet
    AutoPilot Dig 220

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Questions about upgrading pump motor to 2-speed

Good questions Dean.

I would like to do the same and want to know if there needs to be any modification to the impeller or any other part of the pump area, install, gaskets etc.. I have a single speed 2.5 horse power motor and it works great and moves a ton a water. I actually like it, as it works well with solar on my roof with no issues. I'm interested in a manual hi-low option too.
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

3. Back To Top    #3

12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Good questions Dean.

I would like to do the same and want to know if there needs to be any modification to the impeller or any other part of the pump area, install, gaskets etc.. I have a single speed 2.5 horse power motor and it works great and moves a ton a water. I actually like it, as it works well with solar on my roof with no issues. I'm interested in a manual hi-low option too.
    hey there, looks like you did not get a response from last year..

I am not sure about your pump but mine (1hp Super Flo 2 speed 340042) comes with a manual switch to change from low to high but I did not use it.. mine is wired into my Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System and that changes the speeds depending on how I set up the timer..

Hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **