Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool closing

I have a 22 x 53 inches deep Intex pool and it came with a cover that has holes in it. Is this OK to use as a winter cover and if so what else would I need to close the pool.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Pool closing

Just a shot in the dark here ... there are many different types of covers out there, the main purpose being to keep debris out of the water. If the holes you are referring to look factory-made, they are probably designed to allow some water to rest on the cover to help keep it flat, and/or perhaps prevent water from pushing the cover down too far. Someone else may confirm. As for the closing procedures, you'll want to read this page: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool. Hope this helps get you going.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Edmond OK

Yes, those holes are designed to let water that falls on top of the cover to flow back into the pool and keep it from pooling on top. But what they actually do is allow pool water to seep back up on top as the cover sinks into the pool, especially if any leaves or debris fall on top of it. This soon becomes a stagnant swamp.

I even suspended a truck tire inner tube beneath my cover last year in hopes that it would hold it up out of the water, but it helped little. The cover still sunk everywhere except right over the inner tube. The cover did serve to keep the brackish water on top more or less separated from the pool, as I could lift it up and see that the water below was mostly clear. But the difficulty comes in the spring when you attempt to open the pool back up again. With the holes in the cover, there’s just no way to drain the nasty water off the top without more rushing up through the holes to replace it. Eventually, I tried to delicately roll the cover off, but ended up dumping most of the junk back into the pool, resulting in this:

My plan this year is to try it again, but instead of an inner tube I’m going to put my solar cover underneath the cover. This should provide even support all the way across the surface and hold the cover up out of the water, while still letting rain water drain down into the pool, since both covers have holes in them. We’ll see how this works out next spring.
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"

4. Back To Top    #4

That should help. I used to use mesh covers also, but they got ruined easy
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

5. Back To Top    #5

Medicine Hat, Alberta

I have the cover that came with my Intex pool on now just to help me keep leaves out, I plan on removing it once leaf season is over, even now it is trying to sink into the pool.
    12.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump
    Aqua Trol SWG
    Solar heat coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank
    Hayward DV-4000 suction pool cleaner "Freddie"

6. Back To Top    #6
    Northern IL

I have a friend that uses a solid tarp (just a Home Depot regular thing) on top of her mesh cover. She braces it down with sand bags. She finds it tough to remove in spring, but opens clear.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.