Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What type of Chlorine do I enter for Pool Math

1. Back To Top    #1

What type of Chlorine do I enter for Pool Math

What type of Chlorine do I enter for pool math? I have a SWG and the type of Chlorine produce is not an option on the drop down for pool math. Any help will be appreciated.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What type of Chlorine do I enter for Pool Math

SWG is an option and that is the correct one to choose.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I understand the question now. At the top row for FC, the manual chlorine drop-down section simply won't apply to you like it would for non-SWG pools. But near the bottom row (Suggested Goal Levels), you can select SWG and your pool type. After doing that, it will update an FC "Goal" range that is listed next to the FC (row) title back at the top row. Hope that makes sense.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not is not an option on the FC line.

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    SWG is an option and that is the correct one to choose.
    - - - Updated - - -

Got it! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I think I understand the question now. At the top row for FC, the manual chlorine drop-down section simply won't apply to you like it would for non-SWG pools. But near the bottom row (Suggested Goal Levels), you can select SWG and your pool type. After doing that, it will update an FC "Goal" range that is listed next to the FC (row) title back at the top row. Hope that makes sense.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

The above is for setting the proper goals, but if you wanted to translate an FC into the weight of chlorine gas which is how SWGs are rated, then use "chlorine gas" in the FC section or in the "Effects of adding chemicals" section. You obviously don't add any of that directly (you set a % ontime instead), but it will tell you that 2 ppm FC in 20,000 gallons is 5.3 ounces weight of chlorine gas. Since most of that FC loss is during the day, one can figure that this amount of chlorine should be generated over 8 hours so that gives a 24-hour rate of (24/8)*5.3 = 15.9 ounces weight or roughly 1 pound chlorine per 24 hours.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    The above is for setting the proper goals, but if you wanted to translate an FC into the weight of chlorine gas which is how SWGs are rated, then use "chlorine gas" in the FC section or in the "Effects of adding chemicals" section. You obviously don't add any of that directly (you set a % ontime instead), but it will tell you that 2 ppm FC in 20,000 gallons is 5.3 ounces weight of chlorine gas. Since most of that FC loss is during the day, one can figure that this amount of chlorine should be generated over 8 hours so that gives a 24-hour rate of (24/8)*5.3 = 15.9 ounces weight or roughly 1 pound chlorine per 24 hours.