Advice on adding a propane heater

rbinn

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2015
Nanaimo BC
Hi All,
Now that the pool has been put up for winter I am putting my energies towards research for a 100-200000 btu propane heater. It seems like they all have some type of bad reviews. I was looking at a Hayward H series low nox 150...anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks
Rob

We added a used Jandy Lite2 125,000 BTU to our 16x4 Intex this year. Running it off propane 20lb BBQ tanks, but considering having a tank installed next year. It takes about 8 hours to heat up (we only heat it on weekends).

Raypak is by far a better unit hands down. I would suggest their 266K unit. You won't be disappointed.

One big factor with this heater is it doesn't have any extra bells or whistles like a blower motor or extra boards that can go out later down the road. It is a straight forward unit.

Having dealt with pool heaters most of my life, propane can be tricky. Make sure the propane tank being used is at least 100 gals per 100,000 btu's. The biggest problem is letting the tank get to low. Household appliances run from 40,000 btu to 100,000 btu on average. Adding a 200,000 btu heater changes the game. The key is to never let the propane heater run down below 40%. I have seen many a damaged heater from low propane situations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.