Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water level and lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Water level and lights

I am a new pool owner (first season) and I will be closing my pool along with the help of a friend who has experience closing his own. My question is if I lower the water level to approximately 4" below the return lines it would put the water level right in the middle of my lights. I have 2 lights, 1 in the shallow end and 1 in the deep end. I also have a mesh safety cover and this spring the water level was quite high. I am not sure how my lights come out either. Should I be lowering the level below the lights?

image.jpg
    19 X 36 Vinyl IG - Sta-rite 1HP Pump MPRA6E - Sta-rite Cartridge Filter S7M120 - Delta UV Filter E40 - Hayward Offline Autofeed Chlorinator CL220EF - Sta-rite Heater SR333NA - 16000 Gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water level and lights

Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

I hope this link helps.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I would think it would be best to drop below the light as oppose to be in the middle of them.
    I also have a mesh safety cover so I have the same issue with rising water level. Unless you take them out for the winter?
    I put a auto sump pump on one of the steps that is just above my winter water level. so as the water gets too high it just pumps out the excess.
    This however, did not help with the 4 feet of snow we got last year!
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

Steve, I'm in Michigan so have similar weather. In our case the pool techs close for us (just for the labor) but we're involved in the how and why

In our liner pool, they do NOT drop the water level...they pull out the light, wrap it in a towel and plastic bag, and leave it on the deck for the winter. Our solid cover has a mesh panel in the center.

They blow out the lines, use antifreeze, and a skimmer gizmo.

Their goal is to keep weight of water in pool against water table and keep liner in place.

Hope that helps.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Steve, I'm in Michigan so have similar weather. In our case the pool techs close for us (just for the labor) but we're involved in the how and why

In our liner pool, they do NOT drop the water level...they pull out the light, wrap it in a towel and plastic bag, and leave it on the deck for the winter. Our solid cover has a mesh panel in the center.

They blow out the lines, use antifreeze, and a skimmer gizmo.

Their goal is to keep weight of water in pool against water table and keep liner in place.

Hope that helps.
    I would do as someone that is a "been there, done that" kind of person.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit