Automatic Water Level Sensor

trclac

Jul 24, 2009
Houston
Is there an automatic/wireless (WiFi) water level sensor that can alert my wife (such as through an iPhone app) when she needs to add water to the pool? I travel a lot, and even though I am always telling her to check, she is always forgetting. :mad: And, living in Houston, water can evaporate pretty quickly.

I would ask about an automatic sensor plus a trigger to turn on the water, but to turn on the water is an entirely manual process -- turning a lever 180 degrees on an existing outdoor faucet. That, and there is no power outlet anywhere close to the faucet.

Our WiFi can easily reach the pool area, so if anyone has any ideas as to an automatic water level sensor that can alert her when it's time to turn the water on (and, ideally, off), I'd appreciate knowing of any recommended brands/models.

Many thanks in advance.

Here's one for about $300.

You can get non-contact sensors based on ultrasonic transducers, but those get to $1,500+. I think YippeeSkippy's daily reminder on the iPhone calendar is the cheapest way to go...

Here's one for about $300.

You can get non-contact sensors based on ultrasonic transducers, but those get to $1,500+. I think YippeeSkippy's daily reminder on the iPhone calendar is the cheapest way to go...

Thanks all.

I have done the iphone calendar reminder, as well as the Reminder app on the iPhone. Those don't help, as she deals with two kids every day. Thus, she forgets or ignores, even with these apps. But I'm hoping that if she receives an alert/warning from an app that the water IS low (which can burn out our equipment), rather than just a calendar reminder to check to see if it is low (which often leads to "false" positives, as she says, that cause her to ignore the calendar pop ups), that will get her outside and cause her turn on the water.

It's a continuing battle to get her to get outside to turn on the water -- then, when she does, she forgets to turn it off. So I was just hoping there was something that now had a WiFi sensor level that would alert her to the LOW level and alert her to turn OFF the water. I've tried everything else I can think of, to no real avail.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Thank for asking this particular question, myself I am good at turning the water on but with getting older I am finding CRS and CRAFT syndrome kicking in and forget to turn off fill water or sprinklers all the time. I did pick up a simple hose timer, spring wound clock type el-cheapo, and have figured out that by turning the water supply on for an hour I can raise my pool level about 1/2 to 3/4" per hour.
This year I put up a "pool house" to house my electrical pumps and sand filter, I did run an underground water supply to a hose bibb on the side of it as well, just to get rid of the continual hose over the sidewalk thing.
My wife and I both work out of town regularily, so I am trying to get my pool Ultra Troublefree, so when we come home a bit of vacuuming and we go a dipping.
This year my el-cheapo spring operated device gave up the ghost so to speak, so next year I will probably add in a more resilient timing device, for lawn watering/pool filling.
My initial thoughts are to add another timer in my pool shed ( 15 minute increments ), since I have water handy, timer will be 110VAC, outlet will run to a 24 Volt transformer, which will power a simple 1" sprinkler valve when energized. When I am at home timer will run sprinkler hose and I will probably run fill manual, but when away I should be able to set up the timer to fill the pool a set amount per day.
Yes I live in Canada but with no cover in the heat of summer I can loose 1 - 2" of water a week which could pose troubles down the road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.