LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
Venice, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
For a better part of the summer I have had a mystery stain in a 4x6 area of the pool. the stain is faint, blotchy, green to tan in color and climbs the corners up onto the wall. I'd have said that it hasn't spread or changed at all, but i am now noticing a small similar stain in another, deeper area of the pool. The stain does not appear to brush off at all, and the initial area doesn't seam to grow or change.

During the summer, my water has been clear, and ,in general, has been maintained in recommended specs. There was a period, however this past spring where things got out of control.:hammer:

I have shocked several times and have seen no change in the area. currently, I am shocking again, and brushing the area daily. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to what this is or how I can treat it? I have tried to take photos, but no matter what angle I use, they don't really come out well.

Thanks, Chris

Currently
pH7.5 (FYI it CHRONICALLY rises to 8.2)
FC17.5
CC 0.5
TA 60 (store says 100)
CYA 25 (store says 60)
CH 450 per the store (I can't ever seem to get a color change in my test kit)

It took me a few days to accomplish, but it appears as though the Vitamin C tablet DID remove the stain where I rubbed it. As I indicated, the pictures are difficult to see, but you can jus make out the shadow of the blotchy stain.
IMG_6475.jpg
IMG_6477.jpg

Thank you folks!

Richard ,

Thank you. i am going to confirm once more with a larger dose of the vitamin c. I am going to fill a sock full of crushed tablets and sit it on the stain. All of those causes you mentioned seem implausible. Are there other ways that I could be seeing metals, or is it less likely that I have metal? The pool is 3 years old and has never had algaecide or had tricolor. I am the only owner. My struggles with pH are only that it is CONSTANTLY on the rise. i add Acid every couple of days. Incidentally, right in the location of that stain.

Thanks

i add Acid every couple of days. Incidentally, right in the location of that stain.

I do not believe that stains are caused by acid. I thought it was possible that acid additions and chlorine could possibly cause a chemical reaction and could cause staining, rust, etc.

Chem-Geek confirmed in a very long thread, this is not the case and that PH, if allowed to drop very low could cause problems as water becomes very corrosive. MA should be added to the pool just as if it were chlorine, in front of a return to shoot in the pool. I have found the smallest stains on my white steps, and even Vitamin C does not remove them. Have no idea how they show up. There are no metals in my water either (tested many times). Chances are that the stains are related to something else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.