1st Test Results

Mar 18, 2008
Garden State
Still pretty cool in NJ so not swimming season yet. I however needed to get my pump running since I am having my solar installed this coming week off came the cover and the season begins. Besides lots of worms and some leaves and dirt, the pool looked good; the water was clear and no visible algae. :-D

Here are my current test results:

FC: 2
CC: 0
TC: 2
pH: 7.2
TA: 60
CYA: 30

With a water temperature of 50, how "off" are the above results? :?: :? :?:

I just added bleach to raise by chlorine to shock level, should I worry about pH and TA at this point or not worry about it at this time?

Thanks!

Your TA and PH are both a little low. As long as you have the pump running I suggest your raise them both a little.

It is good to get a CH measurement at least once per season. Vinyl liner pools don't care of CH is low, but you still don't want CH getting too high.

Also, you wrote down TC incorrectly. If FC is 2 and CC is 0 then TC has to be 2. TC=FC+CC.

Thanks Jason, I just noticed the typo on TC...guess my brain is not in pool mode yet.

If I filled out the fields correctly, it looks like from the pool calculator I need roughly 10lbs of baking soda (edited to use TFP values on pool calculator) to raise the TA. How much will that change the pH?

You can play with the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section towards the bottom of the calc.

I would try a combination of Soda Ash or Washing Soda, and also Baking Soda, to achieve your goals.

99 ounces of Baking Soda will raise your TA by 13 and barely move your PH..... then add 50 oz of Washing Soda/Soda Ash to raise your PH by .31, and your TA will raise another 10. So your TA will end up around 80 and your PH sould be closer to 7.5-7.6.

There may be another method, if I'm wrong someone will chime in.... :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.