Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto pool cover will not open

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto pool cover will not open

Hello everyone - just joined but have been impressed with helpful content for years.

My Coverstar cover will not open. A couple days ago i opened it to enjoy some swim time and the cover stopped opening half way, I can close (and eventually did) but cannot open. I've had zero problems with my cover for the 8 years of service - I'm sure its a simple issue to fix. Ropes apear fine but appears to be some slack on the reels.

Coverstar repairs are just too dam expensive so I'd like to try what I can before I call for service.

thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto pool cover will not open

For posteritysake .... I removed the roller cover and noticed that the roller tube insertwas spinning fine near the motor, not spinning at all on the far end. Suspecteda broken roller tube. Pulled the cover slack as far back as I could anddetached the cover from the roller tube. Totally corroded roller tube at theroller tube insert, insert corroded too. Salt water pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Please keep us updated as to how you end up fixing this problem. 'k?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

My PB adjusts my ropes for free except for a trio charge which we coordinate with the neighbors. Have you asked them to take a peek?

5. Back To Top    #5

Results:

The 2 or 3inches of the motor side of the roll-up tube was corroded completely off theroll-up tube. This why I can close the cover but cannot uncover. The other side of the roll-up tube seems fine but lots of calcium type buildup.The roll-up tube cone, adapter assembly and tube inserts arealso corroded beyond reuse. Coverstar was contacted and this should all be underwarranty – 20 years for mechanical. In themeantime, because I have about 3 or weeks of swim season, I used a 6” stove pipe and fashioned an extension and it now worksfine (bolted stove pipe to tube insert, inserted into roll-up tube and secured withscrews). Before and after phots attached.

2015-09-21 12.39.08.jpg2015-09-21 19.40.52.jpg

31K gallon, vinyl liner, coverstar auto cover, polaris auto vac, circupool salt system, hayward heat pump, sand filter, installed may 2007

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Hello Brock, and welcome to TFP,

That looks like as good of a temp fix as any.

I'm glad the repairs are covered under warranty.

Now just a few questions in regards to the "Lots of calcium type build up."

Are you seeing any calcium type build up in or around your pool, on, in, or around any of your equipment?

What are you using to chlorinate your pool?

What is your calcium level?

How are you checking your levels?

Also when you get a chance, please fill out your Signature Information by going to the top of this page under Forum Actions----->General Settings, Then look down the left side of the page for a bold tab that says MY Settings----->Edit Signature.
    Here is a link with the kind of things you can add to your Signature. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efore-you-post

This will help us should you have any pool related issues in the future. We are really glad you're here. Have a wonderful night .
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.