Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Circuit breaker keeps tripping...

1. Back To Top    #1
    Waco TX

Circuit breaker keeps tripping...

Earlier today I noticed that my filtration system wasn't running. I went to my control panel and found that the breaker on my pump was tripped. I switched it back on and when I pressed "filter" on my control panel the pump restarted. Ten minutes later it was off again (and the circuit breaker was tripped again). Now, even after resetting the circuit breaker, when I press "filter" on my control panel it only clicks and the pump won't restart.

My whole system is less than three months old.

Where do I start with figuring out what's going on?
    Brand new pool owner -- first day of swimming July 4, 2015! 22,000 gallon custom (14 x 40 rectangle) gunite in-ground pool with Stonescape plaster (Irish Mist). Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T2), Hayward TriStar pump (SP3207X10), Hayward Goldline Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 SWCG with Pro Logic control panel. Taylor K2006-C test kit. Mom to three boys, eight rescue parrots, and two dogs.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Jose, CA

Re: Circuit breaker keeps tripping...

Since your system is quite new, I would suspect that there is an obstruction in your pump that is either clogging the impeller or keeping the suction very low or both. Therefore your motor is overheating and its thermal protection is shutting itself down and/or causing a high current draw that is tripping the breaker. So start at your skimmer and clean it out...clean out the pump basket...go to all the obvious easy to access places and have a look. Let the pump cool down for a bit and try again. If it turn on and pumps water, hang around and observe and listen. Shoving a running hose into pipes might also free any clogs. Plumber's snake or electrician's tape might also be useful for this purpose.
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Wildomar, California

Re: Circuit breaker keeps tripping...

Your pool should have a warranty and I would call your PB and have them check it out and repair it.