GFCI Question

Jul 26, 2015
Ohio
We are in the process of wrapping up our new pool install and are now completing the hookup for the electric. Do we need a GFCI breaker in the sub-panel? Also, what size breaker should be ran to the pump (Hayward VS Superpump).

Any recommendations appreciated.

Angela

Hi Angela. We have many seasoned electrical experts here who will verify that for you. In my novice experience, you certainly do need a GCFI circuit. Where that GFCI is controlled can vary between the outlet itself (GFCI trip) or the breaker. I did mine at the breaker in the panel. Typically they are rated for at least 20 AMPs, although all of your equipment may be used to calculate the amount of amps drawn at its peak to verify. Let's see what others have to say. Always a good question.

IMO, GFCI is not necessary for your pool pumps but it doesn't hurt (save for the $$s). Surge protection isn't a bad idea and almost mandatory for VS pumps due to their sensitive electronics.

GFCI IS necessary for your pool lights since those are in contact with the water. The idea is the same about dropping a hairdryer into the tub.

Oh, a 240 V-20 A breaker should work fine for 90% of the residential pumps out there. Some of the smaller ones like 1 HP or less can run fine on a 240 V-15 A breaker.

Certainly, these can be GFCI if you want.

Just remember that 20 A needs at least #12 wire while 15 A needs at least #14 wire.

Thanks for that, John. I just looked it up. It almost seems that GFCI is the rule rather than the exception these days. I shall upgrade my suggestions! Seems that all equipment within 20 feet of a permanent, in-ground pool that uses 120 V or 240V, 15 A or more, requires GFCI protection. This is per 680.22(A)(5).

Looks like I'll getting all new breakers in my sub-panel!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.