Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GFCI Question

1. Back To Top    #1

GFCI Question

We are in the process of wrapping up our new pool install and are now completing the hookup for the electric. Do we need a GFCI breaker in the sub-panel? Also, what size breaker should be ran to the pump (Hayward VS Superpump).

Any recommendations appreciated.

Angela
    16x32 IG/vinyl liner steel wall, 1.5hp Hayward SuperPump VS, Hayward swimclear 325, 1 Hayward Colorlogic 4.0, automatic chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GFCI Question

Hi Angela. We have many seasoned electrical experts here who will verify that for you. In my novice experience, you certainly do need a GCFI circuit. Where that GFCI is controlled can vary between the outlet itself (GFCI trip) or the breaker. I did mine at the breaker in the panel. Typically they are rated for at least 20 AMPs, although all of your equipment may be used to calculate the amount of amps drawn at its peak to verify. Let's see what others have to say. Always a good question.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

IMO, GFCI is not necessary for your pool pumps but it doesn't hurt (save for the $$s). Surge protection isn't a bad idea and almost mandatory for VS pumps due to their sensitive electronics.

GFCI IS necessary for your pool lights since those are in contact with the water. The idea is the same about dropping a hairdryer into the tub.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both. That is very helpful! This site is a lifesaver
    16x32 IG/vinyl liner steel wall, 1.5hp Hayward SuperPump VS, Hayward swimclear 325, 1 Hayward Colorlogic 4.0, automatic chlorinator.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, a 240 V-20 A breaker should work fine for 90% of the residential pumps out there. Some of the smaller ones like 1 HP or less can run fine on a 240 V-15 A breaker.

Certainly, these can be GFCI if you want.

Just remember that 20 A needs at least #12 wire while 15 A needs at least #14 wire.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

A GFCI breaker for the pump is required by current NEC.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for that, John. I just looked it up. It almost seems that GFCI is the rule rather than the exception these days. I shall upgrade my suggestions! Seems that all equipment within 20 feet of a permanent, in-ground pool that uses 120 V or 240V, 15 A or more, requires GFCI protection. This is per 680.22(A)(5).

Looks like I'll getting all new breakers in my sub-panel!
    ----Chris----

8. Back To Top    #8

Found the 20 A gfci we needed and we will definitely take your advice on the surge protector. We just lost out aerator control panel to a spike. Thanks again. Looks like this project might be done very soon.