Need new new timer & GFCI breaker...am I 115 or 230?

danpik, thanks for the education. I am not used to dealing with 240 GFCI but have plenty on his half-brother, 120 V. I also recently learned that GFCI is pretty much becoming the norm for just about all circuits these days and in regards to pools, if the circuit is within 20 feet of the pool, it needs GFCI breakers.

Borjis
Since the breaker you posted pictures of is technically a disconnect and not a sub panel there must be another breaker panel upstream from this. (house panel?). It too will be a double pole breaker. You can add the GFCI breaker there instead. You will have a neutral connection point there. The only place where neutral and ground wires can be on the same bar is in the first disconnect means after the meter, which your house panel should be. It is possible that the house panel is classified as a feeder (sub) panel in which case there will be a separate ground and neutral bar.

opened up the heater, from what I can tell, the pump motor wires are going into the wire nuts.

Do you concur with removing them from the wire nuts and wiring directly to Timer?

Vm6LWzY.jpg

ok maybe not a good idea.

see that block with the yellow connectors?

pump is connected to one red & one black.

The power from the breaker is the other two.

then at the bottom you can kinda see a red and black smaller wire on either end of the block?

That goes to a little connector on the circuit board labeled "Pump"

I believe this has been wired correctly and I probably shouldn't alter it.

Either way, I need a timer that works. Just picked one up on the way home.

Can I hook up the wires from the house breaker to the timer, then from the timer
to the circuit breaker in the pump room?

Pool is almost filled and ready

Ah, I see why it was wired that way. The heater must sense if the pump is on or not. Well that takes care of my thought process on the wiring. Yes, leave the pump and heater wires as is.

So IIRC, you will want to take the heater wires off the breaker and route them up to the timer (you'll need to extend the wires).

Next, route wires from the breaker up to the timer. This puts everything on your small sub-panel/disconnect/whateveryoucallit breaker. The house breaker is then only on the sub-panel/disconnect/whateveryoucallit.

This is what I would do.

And yes, danpik's idea to put your GFCI at the house panel is excellent. I missed that one, too.

HAHA! Guess what?

The heater IS the timer!!! (shoots self in foot)

I downloaded and read the manual and this heater includes an electronic timer clock just for the pump (with heat off or on as oan option) so it doesn't need an external timer. Bwahaha!

I guess I'll return the timer I just bought.

They plumbed the pump into the heater with no bypass. I don't care for that way of doing things but
will leave that as is for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.