Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizer turned plaster and tile dark blue??

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer turned plaster and tile dark blue??

My wife added stabilizer to our inground painted plaster pool and pool and tile are stained dark blue?? What happened?
    I have an old 1960? In ground painted plaster pool ...about 50,000 gallons. I live in Southern California.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer turned plaster and tile dark blue??

Can you provide some more details?

Full set of test results?

Color of pool before addition of CYA?

Even discoloration everywhere or spots?

Copper in water?

Type of chlorine used?

How was the cyanuric acid added?

Equipment details?

Pictures?

3. Back To Top    #3

Get her to SHOW you the bottle of stabilizer....

4. Back To Top    #4

Good point. It might not have been cyanuric acid. I have never seen CYA cause that type of reaction. The only thing that I can think of would be a reaction with high copper levels, which could cause purple amethyst colored stains.

5. Back To Top    #5

Copper can bond with cya to create copper cyanurate, which can cause violet staining. I wonder if that's what's going on.

Oop, forgive redundancy, must have cross-posted
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool was painted light blue..we have a 19 year old kid that services the pool. He told my wife we were losing chlorine so she needed to buy stabilizer. She bought it at Walmart..I added 14lbs through the skimmer basket and had no problems, 3 weeks later pool guy told my wife we needed more..she added 8lbs at the pump..few days later pool started turning dark blue...looks like someone threw in a bunch of those blue cleansers they use in urinals! I'm draining it now..that stuff is really stuck on the tiles..kind of a chalky substance?? I don't know what my levels were as the kid took care of cleaning and chlorinating...think he just added tablets and swept! I have pictures but don't know how to upload.

I have an old 1960? In ground painted plaster pool ...about 50,000 gallons. I live in Southern California.

7. Back To Top    #7

I put photo on profile pic..sure appreciate all your help!!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Do you still have any of the containers that it came in??
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

No..unfortunately not..but it was stabilizer and conditioner..Walmart brand..TGB or something like that..I did see the bottles after my wife added the stuff..it was the same stuff we used before...the blue is everywhere..not just in spots..looks like someone painted ..some spots on plaster seem to rub off..but tile..nope!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Also...water is NOT blue and skin does not turn blue when it touches water..whatever it was just attached to the pool itself..

11. Back To Top    #11

Stabilizer turned plaster and tile dark blue??

22 lbs is a lot of stabilizer. In 50k gallons, that would raise cya by 53ppm. If he's using pucks, it could've already been high. I'm also curious how she added it at the pump. The blue color just adds to the mystery of the whole situation. A good set of test results would sure help with the big picture.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

She went to the pump, took out the basket, poured in the crystals, put the basket back in (backwards) and turned the pump back on.

13. Back To Top    #13

In an inconspicuous area, let a crushed up vitamin c sit on it for a bit and tell us what happen...eg. If it returns to its normal color or not.

If it does, that means you ay be able to restore your pool with an Ascorbic Acid treatment, but you won't be able to successfully do a treatment without a proper test kit (http://www.tfttestkits.net) and a firm handle on TFP maintenance procedures.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

14. Back To Top    #14

Has any copper algaecide been used?

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm going to take a sample of water to pool store n have it tested..will try the vitamin C tab too...don't believe any algaecide has been used..almost done draining it..because of California's water shortage..don't know if I'm allowed to fill it back up!! Thanks for you help!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Can you post pictures at Photobucket and provide a link?

Is there any purple in the stains?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwun View Post
    ..almost done draining it..because of California's water shortage..don't know if I'm allowed to fill it back up!!
    You do know that your pool can float out of the ground, if you have enough rain/groundwater .....right? Do you have a hydrostatic well?

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Why did you drain it? You need to know that it's much easier to fix most problems with water in the pool? I sure hope it doesn't float out of the ground!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

19. Back To Top    #19

You will spend less time and money on your pool of you ditch the pool service companies and the pool store. Then you never have to guess what's going on. Invest im one of the recommended kits and take total control. You won't regret it.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

20. Back To Top    #20

whoa...you drained a 50,000 gallon pool empty!? are you even allowed to refill it where you are at in California?? really wish you would have waited for some recommendations before you did that, seems like a very drastic course of action. hopefully your water table is deep!
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast