Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi,

My pool was recently completed and I'm just making sure that there aren't any issues to bring up to the PB that I haven't yet. One minor thing that's been bothering me a little is that there's a section of tile by my spa's spillway where there's a white substance that's dried and stuck on top of some of the grout.

Here's a couple of pictures of what I mean:

IMG_2627_zpsrikerffh.jpg

IMG_2628_zpswu5f89ge.jpg

I'm not sure what the white stuff is. Maybe dried plaster?

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to remove this stuff (if it is plaster...or if you think you know what it is), or if you think I should just bring it to the PB's attention and see if they can fix it. All I've done so far is see if I can rub it off with my hand when it's wet, which I couldn't.

Thanks for any advice!

That is a fairly common problem with a VERY big name....efflorescence.

It happens when water behind the tiles starts to move through the tiles and then the water dries out, leaving the minerals behind.

Muriatic acid is the best treatment although time alone will minimize it.

That is a fairly common problem with a VERY big name....efflorescence.

It happens when water behind the tiles starts to move through the tiles and then the water dries out, leaving the minerals behind.

Muriatic acid is the best treatment although time alone will minimize it.

Thanks for the info. Any advice as to how to how to use the muriatic acid to get rid of the efflorescence? Should it be diluted? Should I scrub or rub it off after pouring the acid over it? Or just let it run over it and leave it be? Thanks for any additional advice!

Thanks for the info. Any advice as to how to how to use the muriatic acid to get rid of the efflorescence? Should it be diluted? Should I scrub or rub it off after pouring the acid over it? Or just let it run over it and leave it be? Thanks for any additional advice!

Best to start with a diluted solution, something like 4 parts water to 1 part muriatic acid. I have used both a chemical spray bottle (you can get them at any hardware store) and a pressurized chemical sprayer. Whatever you do, always wear eye protection. You can spray it on the efflorescence and let it fizz a bit then scrub with a nylon brush. Rinse it off with pool water. I do it while standing in the pool that way there's plenty of rinse water around if I get a little spray on me. Always be mindful of the wind direction and try not to create a big aerosol spray; a few quick bursts right at the spot will do wonders.

My 2 cent opinion, others may have better ideas....

I see this alot on salt pools. I see you have the Fusion system, correct?

Yes, but we're not using it yet. We just filled the pool a few weeks ago and are about to close it, so we figured we'll wait for the spring to use the salt system.

- - - Updated - - -

Best to start with a diluted solution, something like 4 parts water to 1 part muriatic acid. I have used both a chemical spray bottle (you can get them at any hardware store) and a pressurized chemical sprayer. Whatever you do, always wear eye protection. You can spray it on the efflorescence and let it fizz a bit then scrub with a nylon brush. Rinse it off with pool water. I do it while standing in the pool that way there's plenty of rinse water around if I get a little spray on me. Always be mindful of the wind direction and try not to create a big aerosol spray; a few quick bursts right at the spot will do wonders.

My 2 cent opinion, others may have better ideas....

Thanks for the tips.

Does anyone know if it's strange for us to have this issue on a new pool?

I am so glad someone posted this issue! I had logged on getting ready to post the EXACT same question. My pool was completed in June, and I have been noticing this. I took pictures to send my PB, because I knew it couldn't be scale (that would be everywhere, right?), and this is just on either side of my spillway. I was convinced we had a leak in the hot tub, on either side of the spill-over.
I feel much better after knowing this seems to be common with new pool owners!

Also, I have a waterline on my spa b/c we haven't used it, and I hadn't been running it. Can I use a dilute MA solution to clean that too?

Does anyone know if it's strange for us to have this issue on a new pool?

Not at all unusual, in fact, quite common.

When your mason did the stone and tile work, chances are they cleaned/washed the concrete surface prior to doing their tile work. It's easy for water to get trapped behind tile and the way it will work itself out is to diffuse through the porous grout. As it does that, it will bring lots of minerals along with it.

Once you clean it, it could return but it should be minimal. Best to clean it before it gets thick or aged. Leaving it around for too long can have it harden quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.