position of Hayward VAri-Flo multi-port valve

jk1976

Jul 26, 2012
HI,

WE just closed the pool for the season. I wanted to check out the status of the O-rings while the equipment was taken apart. Luckily, the 0-rings are in good condition.

I'm confused as to which direction the cover plate is re-attached. I believe the filter position was 12:00 and backwash was 6:00 closest to the filter intake pipes, but I'm not sure.

Does it matter in which position the cover plate is attached?

Any guidance will be helpful.

Thanks.

Hello Jk. You could be correct because if I were to spin my filter, the filter setting would be at 12 O'clock, and the backwash at 6 o'clock. Right now my Filter setting actually is sitting at 9 O'clock, and my backwash is at 3 o'clock because of the way my filter is sitting.

The Waste, Winter, and Closed settings are on the same side that the waste line is located, if that helps you any.

But to answer your question, Yes, it does matter which way the cover plate is reattached. It needs to be replaced exactly in the same position it was removed from. The way the Hayward Filters are set up you can also accidently end up placing the handle 180 degrees from the proper location.

Of course for future reference, it helps prior to taking them apart to take a picture, or draw a diagram, so you are certain where everything is positioned when removed. But for now....

Do you remember What position the handle was in when it was removed? Was it in the Filter position, closed position, or did you not remove the handle at all? Because the 1st thing to be certain of is if you removed the handle that it is returned to it's proper position before ever placing the cover plate back on at all.

After you are certain your handle is back in the correct position, then here is a link with pictures that may help you decide which way you need to place your cover plate to ensure you get it back on correctly. http://blog.eztestpools.com/multiport-valve-positions/.

I hope this helps, and have a wonderful night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.