Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: polyquat question

1. Back To Top    #1

polyquat question

The guy at the pool store said Algae Destroyer by (Nature's Way) was what we needed when we asked for polyquat algaecide. (I looked at "Pool School" thread Winterizing above ground pools.) Is this what I should use. It has poly (oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene(dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride) 60% and other ingredients 40%.

Thanks!
    2014 13500 gal ag round Sentinelle pool 24x24x52, Hayward cartridge filter, 2.5 hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: polyquat question

As long as it says "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 60%" as the Active Ingredient, you should be fine. Remember it's best to add only after your water temp has dropped below 60 degrees, and simply serves as "insurance" if your FC does not hold well enough over the winter. The SLAM FC is your primary algae deterrent.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    As long as it says "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 60%" as the Active Ingredient, you should be fine. Remember it's best to add only after your water temp has dropped below 60 degrees, and simply serves as "insurance" if your FC does not hold well enough over the winter. The SLAM FC is your primary algae deterrent.
    Polyquat 60 needs to be added when water 60 or below. Would that be before or after the slam?
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

For clarification, there isnt a SLAM process required for winterizing, (unless the pool needs it).
    The FC is only raised to SLAM level before covering it.

I would recommend adding the polyquat after raising the FC, so as to ensure there is no way it might interfere with the FC test.

Quote Originally Posted by ned8377 View Post
    Polyquat 60 needs to be added when water 60 or below. Would that be before or after the slam?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    For clarification, there isnt a SLAM process required for winterizing, (unless the pool needs it).
    The FC is only raised to SLAM level before covering it.
    The FC is raised to shock level. That's what the SL in SLAM means.
    This phrase is also used in other relevant places, such as the Chlorine / CYA Chart.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

6. Back To Top    #6

See this post for winterizing instructions from Buckman Labs, the makers of Polyquat. You do not want very high chlorine levels with Polyquat since chlorine will oxidize it. Having a moderately higher level (say, half-SLAM level so FC/CYA ratio of 20%) is OK, but the idea is that the Polyquat should last through the winter even if the chlorine does not.

On the other hand, if you intend to have chlorine last through the winter, then raising it to a SLAM level will have it last longer, but the Polyquat may not be as good of insurance in that case.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a very good point Richard. Easy to overlook. It's clear in the "In-ground instructions:
    SLAM - Two or three days before closing, I bring the pool up to shock level and hold it there until FC holds overnight (which it generally does right off on the first night). Then I let the chlorine level fall about half way back to normal levels, typically another day and a half.
    The Above Ground instructions say it slightly different, so I can see where that would be easy to miss:
    Clean and brush pool. Bring pool water to "shock" level and maintained there for 24hrs with pump running to be sure that there are no remaining algae blooms.
    Very good point to remember. Glad you clarified that.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!