Owner Builder in NW Las Vegas

Jul 2, 2015
Las Vegas NV
Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 2.25.35 PM.jpg

So I've taken the plunge..... Im going to follow suit and post all the details of my pool planning process similar to what Bulldogz400 did last year. Since I found his post VERY helpful, I figure others may benefit as well.

Lets start. I have paid a company to complete the drafting of the pool. This will be the second time I have used the company and have nothing but great things to say from my past experience. Cost $850.00 This will include all drawings, plans and contractor list. (Paid)

We are about to finalize the above plans. We want to have an area to play basketball and volleyball along with an area for the kids to jump from. This area is 36 and 1/2 feet long X 13 feet wide. The jumping area of the pool is 17 X 17. We designed a platform area where the kids can jump from in the back.

1) We are trying to decide if we want an in floor cleaning system. We had one in our last pool and loved it. The issue is its going to cost $6,000 (parts +plumbing) and we are trying to keep our costs down. Does anyone have experience with a automatic cleaner and will it work on the benches and sun shelf?

2) Lighting. We want bright colorful lighting. Our last pool had (3) SAM/SAL (whatever that means) lights and probably could have used a fourth light. Anyone have any recommendations on how well the new lights are versus what I bought 10 years ago?

3) Salt vrs Chlorine? We had a salt system in the last pool and I was on the fence if I would do it again. Has the product improved a lot since 2005?

4) Any other ideas anyone has before I finalize the plans?

I know that a SWG is much loved by all who have it. It makes life much easier short term and long term as it does most of the work for you. You do have to watch the stone, coping you use as some of the softer stuff needs to be sealed to protect it from the salt.

You talk about kids jumping area-------so sweet! BUT I think I see that it is only 6' deep in that area. As your kids get older they will get bigger AND the big "kids" aka playful adults are already too tall for a 6' jumping area. I THINK the recommended jumping/diving (you KNOW it will happen!) is closer to 8'. Might want to ask around about that.

I love all of the different areas for your pool-play, lounge, jumping, etc. Everyone in your area and family will be coming to your house to play!

Kim

I'll throw in a couple of comments too.

I love my SWG. Wouldnt own a pool without one. Dont know if they have improved since 2005 since I didnt own a pool then.
If you go with SWG, then plan some other things based on that.

1. Dont use soft natural stone for coping or on the deck. Salt will erode them, however that can be controlled by sealing any soft stone, but will be every 2 year maintenance task.

2. Pool furniture should be aluminum. Mine is aluminum with fake wicker and I see zero corrosion issues with it like people with steel or iron furniture.

I dont see any skimmers on your sketch, but with a L shaped pool, you will need 2 of them. One in each leg of the L.

For sun shelfs and benches, a return or bubbler over them will do miracles for keeping dirt off of them.

Lights - The LEDs have came a long way in the last few years, however, their intensity is still nowhere near that of an incandescent light. In looking at your sketch, your shallow end will be very will lit, but the deep end will be very dim at the far end, especially so since the water is deeper there.

Kim Kats and Divin Dave.... Thanks so much for the input. So we decided on the in floor due to the shape of the pool and long term maintence. Its alot of money upfront but I think we would regret it if we dont. I also added a light to the deep end! I confirmed that there will be (2) skimmers after reading Divin Dave's comments. I should be getting the final plans and submitting for a permit in the next two weeks!

A couple of small items.

• I'd confirm the measurements are excavation or swim-able as it doesn't look like your designer has specified.
  • Our tanning ledge faces west and I wish we'd put two umbrella holders in; one in the middle and one towards the front as now as the sun moves we have to move chairs around vs. just picking-up the umbrella and moving it to the front sleeve (this may seem like a minor thing but I can't tell you how many times we've commented on this).
  • Looks like you have a couple of pot scuppers in your design. Don't order these until after your shotcrete and coping is installed. Had we order ours early on we would have ordered pots that were too small. I have a good source for these that beat Little Baja's prices hands down, let me know if you're interested.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.