Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Owner Builder in NW Las Vegas

1. Back To Top    #1

Owner Builder in NW Las Vegas

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 2.25.35 PM.jpg

So I've taken the plunge..... Im going to follow suit and post all the details of my pool planning process similar to what Bulldogz400 did last year. Since I found his post VERY helpful, I figure others may benefit as well.

Lets start. I have paid a company to complete the drafting of the pool. This will be the second time I have used the company and have nothing but great things to say from my past experience. Cost $850.00 This will include all drawings, plans and contractor list. (Paid)

We are about to finalize the above plans. We want to have an area to play basketball and volleyball along with an area for the kids to jump from. This area is 36 and 1/2 feet long X 13 feet wide. The jumping area of the pool is 17 X 17. We designed a platform area where the kids can jump from in the back.

1) We are trying to decide if we want an in floor cleaning system. We had one in our last pool and loved it. The issue is its going to cost $6,000 (parts +plumbing) and we are trying to keep our costs down. Does anyone have experience with a automatic cleaner and will it work on the benches and sun shelf?

2) Lighting. We want bright colorful lighting. Our last pool had (3) SAM/SAL (whatever that means) lights and probably could have used a fourth light. Anyone have any recommendations on how well the new lights are versus what I bought 10 years ago?

3) Salt vrs Chlorine? We had a salt system in the last pool and I was on the fence if I would do it again. Has the product improved a lot since 2005?

4) Any other ideas anyone has before I finalize the plans?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Owner Builder in NW Las Vegas

I know that a SWG is much loved by all who have it. It makes life much easier short term and long term as it does most of the work for you. You do have to watch the stone, coping you use as some of the softer stuff needs to be sealed to protect it from the salt.

You talk about kids jumping area-------so sweet! BUT I think I see that it is only 6' deep in that area. As your kids get older they will get bigger AND the big "kids" aka playful adults are already too tall for a 6' jumping area. I THINK the recommended jumping/diving (you KNOW it will happen!) is closer to 8'. Might want to ask around about that.

I love all of the different areas for your pool-play, lounge, jumping, etc. Everyone in your area and family will be coming to your house to play!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll throw in a couple of comments too.

I love my SWG. Wouldnt own a pool without one. Dont know if they have improved since 2005 since I didnt own a pool then.
    If you go with SWG, then plan some other things based on that.

1. Dont use soft natural stone for coping or on the deck. Salt will erode them, however that can be controlled by sealing any soft stone, but will be every 2 year maintenance task.

2. Pool furniture should be aluminum. Mine is aluminum with fake wicker and I see zero corrosion issues with it like people with steel or iron furniture.

I dont see any skimmers on your sketch, but with a L shaped pool, you will need 2 of them. One in each leg of the L.

For sun shelfs and benches, a return or bubbler over them will do miracles for keeping dirt off of them.

Lights - The LEDs have came a long way in the last few years, however, their intensity is still nowhere near that of an incandescent light. In looking at your sketch, your shallow end will be very will lit, but the deep end will be very dim at the far end, especially so since the water is deeper there.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Kim Kats and Divin Dave.... Thanks so much for the input. So we decided on the in floor due to the shape of the pool and long term maintence. Its alot of money upfront but I think we would regret it if we dont. I also added a light to the deep end! I confirmed that there will be (2) skimmers after reading Divin Dave's comments. I should be getting the final plans and submitting for a permit in the next two weeks!

5. Back To Top    #5

Keep us posted. Looking forward to see this one built!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

I will be waiting to hear that you have started!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

A couple of small items.

• I'd confirm the measurements are excavation or swim-able as it doesn't look like your designer has specified.
    • Our tanning ledge faces west and I wish we'd put two umbrella holders in; one in the middle and one towards the front as now as the sun moves we have to move chairs around vs. just picking-up the umbrella and moving it to the front sleeve (this may seem like a minor thing but I can't tell you how many times we've commented on this).
    • Looks like you have a couple of pot scuppers in your design. Don't order these until after your shotcrete and coping is installed. Had we order ours early on we would have ordered pots that were too small. I have a good source for these that beat Little Baja's prices hands down, let me know if you're interested.

Good luck!
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm local too, I'm following, just because I like to see what is being used as materials around here! Best wishes for a smooth build.
    Kristin in Henderson NV. Newly Renovated 07/2017, built 99/00, owned since 2012. 15k free form, IG Gunite, Barbados Blue Quartzscapes Plaster, Hayward Cartridge filter, Hayward variable speed pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Walnut Travertine deck & coping.