Hi all. I have read the awesome primer on how to close your in-ground pool, and although I have been closing mine for 13 years now, I am debating following the advice and waiting until the water is "solidly below 60 degrees."
I have a mesh LoopLoc for an 18 x 36 vinyl pool.
However, that does present its own set of problems. First, we've had an unusually warm September here on Long Island, and the water is still in the mid 70's.
We expect temps to be in 70's for highs and lows in 50's for a few nights starting on Sunday, but then rebound to close to 80 again next week.
I really don't have the coin to run that filter for another few WEEKS waiting for fall to arrive, so the BIG question really is, is there are major issue with closing it now? Won't algae growth be somewhat slow and minimal after shocking, balncing, treating, etc. as the sun's angle lowers and the cover masks most of the sunlight or am I deluding myself?
I have always closed it well before today's date and have had varying results in spring, MOSTLY because I opened it too late.
Thoughts and opinions are very welcome!